My beef stew recipe makes use of rigorously chosen substances and strategies for the BEST taste, ever! This stew might be made within the oven or gradual cooker and consists of directions for each. Recipe features a how-to video!
Beef Stew With Carrots and Potatoes
I’m taking a break from cupcakes and cookies as we speak to share what I hope will change into one in all your go-to dinners this winter: beef stew! Not solely is that this beef stew recipe tremendous cozy and hearty, it’s additionally the right make-ahead meal. As soon as prepped, this stew cooks within the oven for a number of hours till extremely tender and flavorful–it’s the last word chilly climate consolation meals (tuck it away for a snow day!).
Each step of this stew is all about maximizing taste. As with my beef ragu (coming quickly!), searing the meat earlier than nestling it in for an extended slow-cooking session is crucial.
Coating the meat in flour and searing provides unbelievable colour and taste to the meat, which is then infused all through the stew. It additionally creates browned bits on the underside of the pan, and once we deglaze these with crimson wine, it takes the flavour to new heights. Are you able to inform I’m enthusiastic about this one?
Why you’ll love my beef stew recipe:
- No fancy substances–crimson wine is as difficult because it will get.
- Cooks till the meat simply falls aside (with out the veggies turning into mushy!).
- Pairs completely with crusty bread, like my soda bread or my biscuits.
- Rigorously designed to be as flavorful as completely potential!
What You Want
beef stew recipe doesn’t want a ton of fancy substances to be tasty. As an alternative, you simply have to deal with the fundamentals, together with:
- Beef. Use a chuck roast and ensure to chop it into 1.5 inch items. Do NOT use pre-cut beef, generally bought as “stew meat” (don’t let the identify idiot you, it’s simply not ideally suited). I discuss extra about one of the best beef for beef stew within the FAQ part beneath.
- Veggies. Together with carrots, celery, and gold potatoes. Reduce all of them into 1″ items for essentially the most even cooking. And sure, you’ll be able to depart the pores and skin in your potatoes!
- Aromatics. Like rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves. The bottom of the stew additionally makes use of onion and garlic for one of the best depth of taste. I desire to make use of recent herbs after I can (although I haven’t been capable of finding a recent bay leaf in years), however embody notes within the recipe to substitute dried herbs.
- Wine. Use a dry crimson wine, I at all times go for a reasonable Merlot. And cheap is price emphasizing, whereas with some recipes you wish to be sure to’re utilizing a wine you wouldn’t thoughts consuming, that’s by no means crucial right here. Backside-shelf is completely advantageous. As with my French onion soup, most (if not all) of the alcohol cooks off, so that you don’t have to fret about serving this dish to youngsters. Lastly, I completely suggest utilizing wine for one of the best taste, however in the event you’re out or simply don’t maintain wine in the home, I might simply substitute with one other cup of broth.
- Salt. Lack of salt is the primary strategy to kill the flavour of absolutely anything, however particularly beef stew. Whenever you style your stew earlier than serving, if it tastes bland or underwhelming at all, merely add extra salt till it has a wealthy, deep taste. I attempted my finest to listing the precise quantity of salt you want, however due to variations in substances (akin to beef broth), there’ll at all times be some variation. At all times add salt to style as wanted!
SAM’S TIP: Whereas some beef stew recipes thicken the broth solely by including hefty spoonfuls of flour, this didn’t give me the sleek, velvety mouthfeel that I used to be on the lookout for. Tossing the meat in flour (after which including only a bit extra flour afterward) is how I developed a thick base for this stew. The ensuing broth isn’t fairly as thick as a gravy, however it’s positively thicker than a conventional broth.
Keep in mind, that is simply an outline of the substances I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the publish!
Make Beef Stew
- Coat the meat – Mix the flour and seasoning in a ziploc bag, add the cubed meat, and toss/shake till the meat is coated.
- Sear – Add olive oil to a big pot and warmth over medium-high. As soon as scorching, sear the meat in batches, cooking till brown earlier than flipping and repeating on the opposite aspect (you don’t should sear all sides!). Take away to a plate.
- Prepare dinner the onion and garlic – Add the butter. As soon as melted, toss within the onion and prepare dinner till softened, then add the garlic and prepare dinner for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomato paste – Add the tomato paste and stir till browned.
SAM’S TIP: Don’t over-crowd the meat when searing, or it’s going to find yourself steaming as an alternative on account of lack of area. If this occurs, your beef will flip grey as an alternative of a deep brown, and it additionally received’t be as flavorful. For this reason I prepare dinner the meat in batches!
- Add the flour – Sprinkle within the flour and stir till absorbed, then prepare dinner for one minute.
- Deglaze the pot – Slowly drizzle within the wine, scraping any brown bits off the underside of the pot as you do. Prepare dinner for a couple of minutes till the wine is diminished and thickened, it ought to have a shiny, velvety look.
- Return the meat – Add the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth, then add the meat and any juices from the plate. Don’t discard the juices, in addition they add taste!
- Add the veggies – Stir within the remaining seasoning, greens, and herbs.
- Bake for 2-3 hours – Place the lid on the pot barely offset and bake in a 325F oven for two hours. If the meat doesn’t collapse after 2 hours, prepare dinner for as much as 1 further hour, till tender.
- Season and serve! Take away the herbs from the pot and alter the seasonings to style.
SAM’S TIP: In case your stew isn’t as thick as you’d like after baking, you’ll be able to simmer it on the range (uncovered) till it reaches your required consistency.
Incessantly Requested Questions
Utilizing the best sort of beef, searing the meat earlier than cooking, deglazing the pan, cooking for a number of hours, and utilizing loads of salt all make an enormous distinction within the taste of your beef stew. I rigorously designed this beef stew recipe to be as flavorful as potential, and in the event you observe all of my suggestions, your stew will style unbelievable!
Sure! It would be best to do all the searing/cooking steps earlier than transferring to the gradual cooker. It’ll prepare dinner for 8 hours on low; I present detailed directions for this within the recipe notes beneath.
Chuck roast is the primary beef I like to recommend for my beef stew recipe. Skip the pre-cut “stew meat”; whereas it could prevent a couple of seconds of chopping, the standard might be unpredictable and it may find yourself diminishing your finish outcomes . I like to recommend utilizing a chuck roast that has some good marbling for one of the best taste. Severe Eats has a useful useful resource on selecting other good beef cuts.
My beef stew recipe tastes nice served as is, however some individuals wish to serve it over mashed potatoes (and what isn’t higher with mashed potatoes?). 😋
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! Should you do this recipe, remember to tag me on Instagram, and you can too discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Beef Stew Recipe
Servings: 6 servings (roughly 1 ½ cups every)
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Prepare rack to middle of your oven and preheat oven to 325F (160C).
In a big paper or Ziploc bag, toss collectively flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Add cubed meat and toss till all the cubes have been coated with flour.
Warmth 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a big Dutch oven over medium-high warmth till shimmering. Working in batches, take away the meat from the bag and frivolously shake off any extra flour (don’t discard flour). Sear meat in batches, permitting area between every bit (in any other case it received’t brown correctly, I often do 3 batches). Prepare dinner for about 3 minutes or till deep golden brown on one aspect, flip and sear the alternative aspect till deep golden brown, then take away to a plate whilst you prepare dinner the subsequent batch. Add further oil between batches as wanted.
Scale back warmth to medium, toss a Tablespoon of butter into the pot and as soon as it’s melted add onion. Prepare dinner, stirring sometimes, till onion is softened (about 3 minutes).
Add garlic and prepare dinner, stirring, till aromatic/30 seconds.
Add tomato paste and prepare dinner, stirring, for a few minute or till browned in colour.
Measure out 1 Tablespoon of flour out of your earlier flour combination (in the event you tossed this simply measure your self a recent Tablespoon of flour) and sprinkle over the pot. Prepare dinner, stirring, till flour is absolutely absorbed then prepare dinner one other minute.
Very slowly, drizzle in wine, scraping the underside of the pot to deglaze it and work any browned bits into the stew. Prepare dinner till wine is barely diminished, barely thickened, and shiny in look (a number of minutes).
Add worcestershire sauce and slowly drizzle in beef broth and stir nicely.
Return beef to the pot (together with any juices that collected on the plate), and add remaining substances (remaining ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, potatoes, carrots, celery, bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary).
Stir and be sure that the meat and veggies are principally lined by the broth (and the herbs are fully submerged, or they’ll burn). Barely offset the lid from the pot, switch to middle rack of 325F (160C) oven and bake for 2-3 hours. Examine stew at 2 hours and add extra time as wanted, cooking till beef is tender sufficient that it falls aside with a fork.
As soon as meat is tender, discard bay leaves and thyme/rosemary stems. Examine the consistency and style of the soup. Should you’d prefer it a bit thicker, simmer uncovered on the stovetop till thickened. Style-test and add salt and pepper as wanted (if the soup tastes something lower than supremely flavorful, it doubtless wants a bit extra salt to convey out the flavors of the soup).
Select a chuck roast that’s well-marbled for finest taste. Keep away from pre-cut “stew meat”.
Retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. The flavour of the stew develops because it sits and a few individuals even say it’s higher the subsequent day. This stew might also be frozen.
To make use of a gradual cooker, observe steps 1-10 then switch substances to basin of a gradual cooker. Prepare dinner on low for 8 hours. Observe that the broth doesn’t change into fairly as thick when ready in a gradual cooker, to assist thicken the stew, take away the lid after 8 hours and prepare dinner on excessive, stirring sometimes (or return to a big pot on the stovetop and simmer, uncovered, till thickened).
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 641kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 45g | Fats: 29g | Saturated Fats: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 15g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 135mg | Sodium: 1506mg | Potassium: 1523mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4065IU | Vitamin C: 36mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 7mg
Dietary data is predicated on third-party calculations and needs to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will range primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.