In case you love buckeye sweet, then you want to attempt my buckeye cookies! Similar to the sweet, these chewy chocolate cookies are made with a creamy peanut butter filling and wealthy chocolate coating. Recipe features a how-to video!
Peanut Butter Buckeye Cookies
These buckeye cookies are the candy and chewy embodiment of basic buckeye sweet! Just like my buckeye brownies, these cookies function a wealthy, chocolatey, (however not too candy) cookie topped off with a thick layer of peanut butter filling and decadent chocolate ganache. The ganache layer is further thick too; it’s the identical topping you’ll discover on my MIllionaire’s shortbread.
You can also make these into HUGE gourmand cookies (nice if you happen to personal a bakery or promote cookies) or make them into smaller, regular sized cookies. Those photographed listed here are the big model, however I sometimes stick to the standard-size since they’re so indulgent. Directions and measurements for each are included beneath, so take your decide!
What You Want
There are fairly a number of elements on this recipe, however don’t let that intimidate you! I promise these buckeye cookies are straightforward sufficient for newbie bakers.
- Butter. No, your eyes usually are not fooling you–there are three sticks of butter within the photograph above! Two will probably be melted and mixed with our cocoa powder within the cookies, and the remaining stick will probably be used for the filling. Who stated these buckeye cookies have been presupposed to be wholesome? Not me!
- Cocoa powder. I like to recommend utilizing pure cocoa powder right here. Dutch course of cocoa works with too, however the chocolate taste is stronger and extra intense in a method that really doesn’t play as properly as I’d like with the peanut butter filling.
- Peanut butter. Use a creamy peanut butter to imitate the graceful, creamy filling in buckeyes. I haven’t examined this recipe with pure peanut butter, so I can’t say for positive how that will work right here.
- Brown sugar. Utilizing some brown sugar alongside common granulated sugar makes for flavorful and chewy buckeye cookies. Follow gentle brown sugar right here; darkish brown will make issues a bit too candy and wealthy.
- Heavy cream. We’ll warmth this up on the range earlier than pouring it over our semisweet chocolate chips or couverture chocolate to create chocolate ganache. Double cream or whipping cream will work too.
SAM’S TIP: I do know chilling cookie dough can check your endurance, but it surely’s a crucial evil right here. Chilling helps make the buckeye cookies thicker so we’ve a pleasant thick/sturdy base for all of the heavy toppings we’re including. Don’t skip it!
Keep in mind, that is simply an outline of the elements I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the put up!
Make Buckeye Cookies
Prep the Cookie Dough
- Stir collectively the nice and cozy melted butter and cocoa powder till mixed.
- Add the sugars, eggs, and vanilla and stir effectively.
- Mix the dry elements in a separate bowl.
- Regularly add the dry elements to the moist elements till the dough is cohesive. Cowl the bowl with plastic wrap and place within the fridge to sit back for half-hour.
- Roll the chilled dough between your palms utilizing both ¼ cup sized (massive cookies) or 2 tablespoon sized (regular cookies) scoops. Place 2″ aside on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350F for both 10-12 minutes (massive cookies) or 9-10 minutes (regular cookies). Flatten the tops of the cookies with the underside of a ingesting glass inside 1 minute of eradicating from the oven. Let cool for five minutes earlier than eradicating to a cooling rack.
Make the Peanut Butter Layer
- Beat the butter and peanut butter along with an electrical mixer till easy and creamy, then stir within the vanilla and salt.
- Regularly add the powdered sugar till the combination is cohesive. It is going to be stiff.
- Scoop the filling in both 2 ½ tablespoon parts (massive cookies) or 1 ½ tablespoon parts (regular cookies) and roll right into a easy ball.
- Flatten the balls into discs and press on prime of the cooled cookies.
- Warmth the cream till steaming, then pour over the chocolate. Cowl with foil and let sit for five minutes earlier than stirring collectively.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the cookies and let it set till agency earlier than having fun with. You’ll be able to place the cookies within the fridge to hurry this up!
SAM’S TIP: Let the nice and cozy cream and chocolate sit collectively below the foil for a couple of minutes earlier than whisking to mix. If the chocolate nonetheless isn’t melting after this, you possibly can microwave the combination in 10-second increments till melted, stirring in between. Don’t overheat your chocolate, or you would make it seize.
Steadily Requested Questions
Nope! These cookies will probably be tremendous at room temperature. Simply ensure to retailer them in an hermetic container and revel in inside 5 days of creating. Buckeye cookies additionally freeze effectively–observe the directions within the recipe notes beneath if you happen to’d like to do that.
My buckeye cookies are modeled after peanut butter buckeyes, a chocolate lined peanut butter sweet. Buckeye candy gets its name from the Ohio state tree, which grows toxic nuts that resemble the eyes of a deer (or a buck!), therefore the identify.
Sure! You can also make the cookies themselves and the peanut butter layer prematurely. Retailer each in an hermetic container as much as 3 days prematurely. You’ll must stir the peanut butter filling and ensure it’s easy earlier than utilizing, if it’s too thick simply stir in a splash of milk or cream. Don’t make the ganache topping prematurely.
In case you love larger-than-life cookies, attempt my blueberry muffin cookies or strawberry cheesecake cookies subsequent!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! In case you do this recipe, make sure you tag me on Instagram, and you too can discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Servings: 12 massive or 24 small cookies
Stop your display from going darkish
Mix melted butter and cocoa powder in a big mixing bowl and stir till well-combined.
½ cup (50 g) pure cocoa powder, 1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter
Add sugars, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and stir effectively.
1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar, ¾ cup (150 g) gentle brown sugar, 1 massive egg + 1 massive egg yolk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk collectively flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2 ¼ cups (280 g) all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, ¾ teaspoon salt
Regularly add dry elements to moist, stirring till fully mixed.
Cowl dough and chill within the fridge for half-hour. In the meantime, preheat oven to 350F (175C).
As soon as oven is preheated and dough is chilled, scoop dough into ¼ cup-sized balls (for LARGE cookies) or 2 Tablespoon-sized balls (for smaller/classic-sized cookies). Roll between your palms to type a easy spherical ball. Area cookies at the least 2” aside on baking sheet.
Switch to heart rack of 350F (175C) oven and bake for 10-12 minutes (for big cookies) or 9-10 minutes (for smaller cookies). Inside 1 minute of eradicating from the oven, use the clear, flat backside of a 1-cup measuring cup (or glass, and many others.) to softly flatten the floor of the cookie (you need a easy flat floor for including the peanut butter). Enable cookies to chill on baking sheet for at the least 5 minutes earlier than eradicating to cooling rack to chill fully earlier than adorning.
Peanut Butter Layer
Mix peanut butter and butter in a medium-large mixing bowl. Use an electrical mixer to beat till easy and creamy.
2 cups (475 g) creamy peanut butter, ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter
Stir in vanilla extract and salt till effectively mixed.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon salt
Regularly add powdered sugar till fully mixed and you’ve got a easy however stiff combination.
2 ¼ cups (285 g) powdered sugar
Scoop dough by 2 ½ Tablespoon parts (for big cookies) or 1 ½ Tablespoon parts (for normal cookies) and roll right into a easy ball (see word). Use your arms to flatten the combination right into a disk and press gently onto the floor of a cookie (if it’s too sticky, simply unfold it on the cookie gently with an icing spatula). Repeat till all cookies have been lined.
Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Pour cream right into a small saucepan and heat over medium-low warmth till steaming. Pour evenly over the chocolate, cowl with foil, and let sit for five minutes. Take away foil and whisk till easy. If chocolate hasn’t fully melted, you possibly can warmth within the microwave in 10-second intervals till easy.
1 ½ cups (250 g) semisweet chocolate chips or couverture chocolate, 6 Tablespoons heavy cream
Drizzle chocolate over cookies. Enable chocolate to harden earlier than having fun with (you possibly can velocity this up by popping them within the fridge, however cookies style greatest at room temp).
I like to recommend and like pure cocoa powder, however Dutch course of will work in a pinch.
Peanut butter layer
If combination is just too sticky to deal with, cowl and chill within the fridge for 15-20 minutes after which attempt rolling once more). If the peanut butter filling remains to be too sticky after chilling, simply stir in further powdered sugar, a tablespoon at a time, till manageable.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 5 days. These cookie additionally freeze effectively, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for as much as 3 months.
Serving: 1massive cookie | Energy: 920kcal | Carbohydrates: 94g | Protein: 15g | Fats: 57g | Saturated Fats: 26g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 7g | Monounsaturated Fats: 21g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 441mg | Potassium: 485mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 65g | Vitamin A: 852IU | Vitamin C: 0.05mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 4mg
Dietary data is predicated on third-party calculations and must be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.