This Chocolate Mousse Cake is a traditional. It’s made up of three layers of moist chocolate cake divided by two layers of clean and creamy chocolate mousse. The entire thing is roofed in a lightweight chocolate whipped cream frosting. Decadently scrumptious!
Wealthy & Decadent Chocolate Mousse Cake
There’s nothing fairly like a wealthy, silky chocolate mousse. When mixed with a moist, tender chocolate cake, you may have probably the most great cake – excellent for celebrations or satisfying a chocolate craving. This chocolate mousse cake is that chocolate cake. If you happen to’ve ever made my Raspberry Chocolate Cake or my Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake, you’ve already made the cake itself earlier than. It’s at all times a success and tremendous simple to make. It’s similar to my favourite Chocolate Cake, however a contact extra sturdy, which works effectively for the layering on this cake.
The three layers of chocolate cake are layered with a conventional, decadent, clean chocolate mousse. There aren’t any shortcuts right here. We’re utilizing real-deal chocolate mousse. The entire thing is roofed with chocolate-infused whipped cream frosting and garnished with chocolate sprinkles. Every facet of this cake is loaded with chocolate taste and is certain to wow the chocolate lovers in your life.
Why You’ll Love This Simple Mousse Cake
In case the phrases “chocolate mousse cake” didn’t already have you ever working to the kitchen with out additional thought, right here’s an inventory of a few of my favourite issues about this cake. It’s a must to strive it.
- No fancy mixing technique. The batter is very easy to whip up. You’ll be shocked at how rapidly you may be popping the muffins within the oven.
- Wealthy and decadent. If you happen to’re a chocolate lover like me, this cake will knock your socks off. It’s brimming with wealthy chocolate taste. Get that chilly glass of milk prepared.
- Moist. The cake layers themselves are completely moist, making this dessert a dream to sink your tooth into.
- Actual chocolate mousse. Some chocolate mousse muffins will take shortcuts in relation to the mousse filling. Not this one. The filling for this cake is a real-deal chocolate mousse. It’s extremely wealthy and splendidly silky clean. Make a double batch and revel in it as is!
What You’ll Want
Right here’s an inventory of what you have to to make this sinfully scrumptious layer cake. You should definitely scroll to the recipe card under for actual measurements.
- All-purpose flour – Be happy to make use of your favourite 1:1 gluten-free flour as a substitute.
- Pure unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda and Baking powder – These two leavenings provide you with finest texture and rise on this cake. It’s tremendous tender, but additionally sturdy.
- Salt – Salt amplifies the flavors within the cake. Don’t depart it out.
- Milk – I recommend utilizing entire milk or 2%. Dairy-free? Attempt a full-fat, unsweetened diary different reminiscent of oat milk or cashew milk.
- Vegetable oil – This cake makes use of oil as a substitute of butter and is tremendous moist.
- Vanilla extract
- Eggs – You should definitely use giant measurement eggs.
- Scorching water – For extra moisture with out extra fats to weigh the cake down. The warmth helps the cocoa bloom to present the chocolate cake a extra intense taste.
- Egg yolks – These thicken the mousse and add to the wealthy and creamy texture.
- Heavy whipping cream – Ought to be chilly with a view to whip correctly.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – I like to recommend semi-sweet chocolate. You can use darkish chocolate. Milk chocolate may also be wonderful, but it surely doesn’t agency up fairly as a lot, so the mousse could also be somewhat softer.
- Powdered sugar – To assist stabilize the whipped cream.
Chocolate whipped cream frosting
- Heavy whipping cream – The heavy whipping cream have to be chilly. In any other case, it is not going to whip up and maintain quantity correctly.
- Powdered sugar – To stabilize the whipped cream in order that it by no means wilts.
- Pure unsweetened cocoa – Dutch-processed cocoa powder will work as effectively. Simply word that the chocolate taste can be extra intense and a bit extra bitter. It’ll even be darker in shade.
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate sprinkles
Learn how to Make Chocolate Mousse Cake
Three cake layers, chocolate mousse filling, and chocolate whipped cream frosting. It’d sound like lots however I promise that for those who take your time and comply with my directions intently, you’ll find yourself with an extremely scrumptious, stunning layer cake. Right here’s the right way to make it. Scroll to the recipe card under for extra detailed directions.
Make the cake
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 350°F, line the bottoms of three 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper, and grease the perimeters.
- Mix the dry elements. Combine collectively the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the moist elements. Combine collectively the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and eggs.
- Mix the moist and dry elements. Add the moist elements to the dry elements and beat till effectively mixed.
- Slowly add the recent water and blend to mix.
- Bake. Divide the batter between the cake pans. Bake for 22-25 minutes.
- Cool. Permit the muffins to chill of their pans for 2-3 minutes earlier than transferring to a cooling rack to chill fully.
For the chocolate mousse
- Warmth the egg yolks, sugar, and 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream within the high of a double boiler over simmering water for 7-10 minutes, whisking continuously. Take away from the warmth and put aside.
- Soften the chocolate. Microwave the chocolate chips in intervals of 10-15 seconds, stirring effectively between every, till melted and clean.
- Whisk the chocolate into the egg yolk combination. Let it cool to room temperature.
- Whip 1 1/4 cups of heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar till stiff peaks kind.
- Put all of it collectively. Fold 1/4 of the whipped cream into the chocolate combination. Fold 1/4 of the chocolate combination into the whipped cream. Fold the remaining chocolate combination into the whipped cream.
Construct the cake
- Degree the tops of the chocolate muffins with a big serrated knife.
- Put together the meeting pan. Use a clear cake collar (proven within the pictures) or an 8×3 inch cake pan (I like to recommend a springform pan) to construct the cake. See the recipe card under for detailed directions on what to do for those who don’t have a springform pan.
- Stack and fill. Place the primary cake layer within the backside of the cake pan. Unfold half of the chocolate mousse over the cake. Add the second cake layer and unfold the remaining mousse over the cake earlier than including the ultimate cake layer.
Frost and embellish
- Make the frosting. Whip the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, pure unsweetened cocoa, and vanilla extract on excessive pace till stiff peaks kind.
- Take away the cake from the fridge and launch it from the springform pan.
- Frost the skin of the cake with the chocolate whipped cream and pipe swirls across the outer high fringe of the cake. Beautify with chocolate sprinkles.
- Refrigerate till able to serve.
Ideas for Success
Intimidated by making this multifaceted layer cake? To not fear. I’ve acquired you coated with some useful suggestions and tips that may set you up for achievement. Right here they arrive.
- Don’t over-mix. When combining the moist and dry elements, don’t overmix the batter. This may trigger the glutens within the flour to overdevelop and can depart you with a tricky, dense cake.
- Scrape the perimeters of the bowl as you add elements and blend them in. This may assist make sure that the entire elements make it into the batter and are included evenly.
- Not too sizzling. When cooking the egg yolk combination over the double broiler (for the mousse), don’t let the water boil otherwise you’ll find yourself with scrambled eggs. You simply need the water to be at a simmer. I recommend lifting the bowl sometimes to launch steam from beneath.
- Hold it transferring. When cooking the egg yolk combination for the mousse, it’s important that you just whisk constantly. This not solely helps incorporate air and quantity into the combination however it can additionally assist maintain you from ending up with scrambled eggs.
- Be mild with the mousse. When folding the chocolate combination into the whipped cream and vice versa, accomplish that gently with a rubber spatula in order to not knock the air out of the mousse.
- Let the chocolate cool. Make certain that the egg yolk-chocolate combination has cooled fully earlier than folding it into the whipped cream for the mousse. In any other case, it can soften the whipped cream and knock the quantity out of it.
- Chilly heavy cream. Make certain that the heavy whipping cream used to make the frosting is chilly. It’ll whip up and maintain quantity higher.
- Let the muffins cool. Earlier than stacking, filling, and frosting the cake it’s essential to permit the cake layers to chill. In any other case, the mousse and the frosting will slide proper off.
- No mess meeting. I extremely suggest utilizing a springform pan right here however, for those who should not have one, assemble the cake on a cardboard cake circle with the assistance of a transparent cake collar. You should utilize an 8×3 inch cake pan as a substitute however be sure to organize it correctly. Place a big piece of plastic wrap within the cake pan in order that it covers the bottoms and sides. This may assist you to elevate the cake out of the pan. Line the underside (over the plastic wrap) with a cardboard cake circle and line the perimeters of the pan with parchment paper. The parchment paper ought to stick up above the highest fringe of the pan to stop overflow.
Can The Mousse Be Ready in Advance?
I don’t suggest making the mousse prematurely of including it to the cake. It’ll agency up within the fridge and also you’d should stir it again up earlier than utilizing it later, which may trigger it to deflate. You may positively make the cake layers prematurely although. And with the all of the moisture within the cake and chocolate mousse, you may simply make the total cake a day or so prematurely. It holds up very effectively.
Learn how to Retailer This Chocolate Mousse Layer Cake
If you end up with leftover chocolate mousse cake, retailer it in an hermetic cake provider or let it chill for a few hours within the fridge earlier than wrapping the entire thing in a double layer of plastic wrap. Use toothpicks to prop the plastic away from any decorations. Already sliced it? Organize the slices in a single layer in an hermetic container. No matter technique you select, you may retailer the cake within the fridge for 4 to five days.
It’s also possible to freeze this cake. Pop it within the freezer for a few hours to agency up earlier than wrapping it in a double layer of plastic wrap and storing it within the freezer for as much as 3 months. If you happen to already sliced the cake, prepare the slices in a single layer in an hermetic container and retailer it within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Let the cake thaw within the fridge earlier than serving.
Extra Decadent Chocolate Muffins
In a chocolate sort of temper? Good. Me too. At all times. Listed here are a couple of different heavenly chocolate muffins. Pour your self a glass of chilly milk and take your self on a chocolate cooking spree.
Watch How It’s Made
Chocolate Mousse Cake with three layers of moist chocolate cake and two layers of clean & creamy chocolate mousse – all coated in chocolate whipped cream!
- 1 3/4 cups (228g) all objective flour
- 2 cups (414g) sugar
- 3/4 cup (85g) pure unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 giant eggs
- 1 cup (240ml) sizzling water
- 4 giant egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (52g) sugar
- 1 3/4 cup (420ml) heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 1/4 cups (227g) semi candy chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup (86g) powdered sugar
Chocolate whipped cream frosting
- 2 1/2 cups (600ml) heavy whipping cream, chilly
- 3/4 cup (68g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (57g) pure unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate Sprinkles
Make the cake and chocolate mousse
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and put together three 8 inch cake pans with non-stick baking spray and parchment paper within the backside.
- Add the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt to a big mixer bowl and mix. Put aside.
- Add the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and eggs to a medium sized bowl and mix.
- Add the moist elements to the dry elements and beat till effectively mixed. Slowly add the recent water to the batter and blend on low pace till effectively mixed. Scrape down the perimeters of the bowl as wanted to ensure all the things is effectively mixed.
- Divide the batter evenly between the ready cake pans and bake for 22-25 minutes, or till a toothpick comes out with a couple of moist crumbs.
- Take away muffins from oven and permit to chill for 2-3 minutes, then take away to a cooling rack to complete cooling.
- When the muffins have cooled, make the chocolate mousse. Mix the egg yolks, sugar and 1/2 cup (120ml) of heavy whipping cream within the high of a double boiler (or in a metallic mixing bowl set over a pot of simmering water). Don’t let the water boil, or it’ll get too sizzling. Often elevate the bowl to launch steam. Prepare dinner the egg combination, whisking continuously. It’ll be prepared when it has thickened, lightened a bit in shade and has extra quantity. It ought to take about 7-10 minutes and attain 160°F (71°C). When completed, take away it from the warmth and put aside.
- Place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl and microwave in intervals of 10-15 seconds, stirring effectively between every, till melted and clean. You can additionally use the double boiler once more.
- Add the chocolate to the egg combination and whisk till clean. Set the combination apart to chill to room temperature.
- In a mixer bowl, whip the remaining 1 1/4 cups (300ml) of heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar till stiff peaks kind.
- Fold about 1/4 of the whipped cream into the chocolate combination till mixed, then fold about 1/4 of the chocolate combination into the whipped cream. Slowly fold the remaining chocolate combination into the whipped cream.
Construct the cake
- Degree the tops of the chocolate muffins by utilizing a big serrated knife.
- The cake could be in-built an 8×3 inch cake pan (springform can be perfect) or with a clear cake collar. In case you are utilizing a cake pan to construct the cake, put a cardboard cake circle within the backside of the pan. If not utilizing a springform pan, you may put some plastic wrap within the backside of the pan and up the perimeters and use it to elevate the cake out of the pan when it’s completed. Line the perimeters of the cake pan with parchment paper. The parchment paper ought to stick up above the highest fringe of the pan, because the cake will in all probability be somewhat taller than your pan. Add the primary layer of cake into the underside of the cake pan. In case you are utilizing a cake collar, place the underside cake on a cardboard cake circle or a serving plate and wrap the cake collar round it and safe in place.
- Add about half of the chocolate mousse and unfold into a good layer.
- Add the second layer of cake on high of the mousse, then add the remaining mousse and unfold into a good layer.
- High the cake with the ultimate cake layer. Refrigerate the cake till the mousse is agency, 4-5 hours.
End it off
- Make the whipped cream by including all of the elements to a big mixer bowl and whipping on excessive pace till stiff peaks kind.
- Take away the cake from the fridge and both take away it from the pan by eradicating the springform pan sides, lifting the cake out of the pan with the plastic wrap, or eradicating the cake collar.
- Frost the skin of the cake with the chocolate whipped cream and pipe swirls across the outer high fringe of the cake.
- End off the cake with some chocolate sprinkles, then refrigerate till able to serve. Cake is finest when well-covered within the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Serving Measurement: 1 Slice
- Energy: 683
- Sugar: 55.2 g
- Sodium: 410.3 mg
- Fats: 42.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 73.1 g
- Protein: 9.8 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 163.6 mg
Key phrases: chocolate mousse cake, chocolate mousse layer cake, chocolate mousse cake filling