There’s a lot to like about this ultra-rich chocolate raspberry cake. Layers of moist darkish chocolate sponge, silky chocolate buttercream, and home made raspberry cake filling are enrobed in an opulent chocolate raspberry ganache. That is an indulgent dessert for anybody who loves the flavour mixture of raspberries paired with deep, darkish chocolate.
Take into account this the fruity sequel to chocolate peanut butter cake. 🙂
Right here’s What You’ll Love About This Chocolate Raspberry Cake
- Cake crumb is fudge-like and moist, but a little bit mild and spongey, with additional texture from the mini chocolate chips
- Lovely steadiness of wealthy flavors between the tart, juicy raspberry filling, candy chocolate buttercream, and darkish chocolate ganache
- Selfmade raspberry filling makes use of frozen raspberries (very handy!) and takes simply quarter-hour to make (plus cooling)
- Get pleasure from extra-luxe raspberry taste within the chocolate ganache topping by changing a number of the cream with raspberry liqueur (optionally available)
Simply take a look at this magnificence:
4 Elements to This Chocolate Raspberry Cake
There’s lots happening at present, so let’s break down every part of this unapologetically indulgent cake:
- Raspberry Filling: This sweet-tart jammy raspberry cake filling comes collectively rapidly and simply on the range. It wants to chill fully earlier than spreading onto the cake layers, so my directions direct you to make this primary.
- Darkish Chocolate Cake: We’re utilizing the identical deeply chocolate-y cake batter as this darkish chocolate peanut butter cake. You’ll love the extra texture from mini chocolate chips within the batter—have you ever tried it earlier than?
- Chocolate Frosting: Slather on a layer of chocolate buttercream frosting between every cake layer, and use it to use a crumb coat to the outside of the cake. You’ll additionally want a piping bag + large round tip to pipe a border across the fringe of the layers. The chocolate buttercream is right here not just for style, however serves a fairly necessary perform: a buttercream “dam” helps maintain the raspberry filling in place.
- Chocolate Raspberry Ganache: High the entire cake with darkish chocolate ganache. If desired, you may substitute a number of the cream with raspberry liqueur (corresponding to Chambord) to make a chocolate raspberry ganache (or maintain it simply chocolate). Style testers liked it each methods.
Make the Raspberry Filling First
The filling takes about quarter-hour to prep, then wants to chill, chill, and thicken fully. I like to recommend making it prematurely and storing it within the fridge till you’re able to assemble the chocolate raspberry cake. I’ve a whole separate web page devoted to this glorious raspberry cake filling if you would like extra concepts for its makes use of.
We’re utilizing frozen raspberries for this filling, which I like as a result of it means this cake will be made yr spherical! You may also use contemporary berries. You want 12 ounces (about 340–375g). Listed here are the opposite substances it is advisable to make it:
- Water & Cornstarch: Cornstarch is the magic thickener for this raspberry filling. You don’t want a lot, however you could dissolve it in a little bit water earlier than utilizing. That is referred to as a “slurry”; see strawberry sauce for instance.
- Sugar: The raspberry filling needs to be a little bit tart, since you’ll pair it with candy chocolate buttercream frosting.
- Lemon Juice: The filling wants *one thing* to steadiness the berry and sugar, and lemon juice gives that trace of freshness. Don’t go away it out or the filling will style fairly flat.
- Vanilla Extract: Add a little bit splash of vanilla extract to the filling as soon as it comes off the warmth. It tastes and smells unimaginable!
Make this primary, so it has loads of time to relax and thicken:
A Very Chocolate-y Chocolate Cake
You want a handful of fundamental baking substances for the cake batter. The acidity in each bitter cream and buttermilk is a should to supply correct leavening. (If desired, see baking powder vs baking soda for extra info.) A contact of espresso powder and sizzling espresso additional enhances the chocolate taste. The cake will not style like espresso—fairly, these add depth to the cake’s darkish chocolate taste. Be happy to skip the espresso powder and substitute sizzling espresso with sizzling water or use decaf.
- Why sizzling liquid? The new liquid encourages the cocoa powder to bloom and dissolve.
Chocolate chips take the chocolate taste to the subsequent degree, and, as I discussed above, in addition they provide phenomenal texture. I exploit mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, however common measurement are tremendous too. Toss them in a little bit flour earlier than folding into the batter, to assist maintain them from sinking to the underside of the cake.
Favourite Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
We’re utilizing my favourite chocolate buttercream on this cake, so you already know it’s going to be good! This creamy chocolate frosting is good, silky easy, and simple to work with.
You want sufficient frosting to unfold on the underside 2 cake layers earlier than topping with the raspberry filling, and to pipe a “dam” across the edges of these layers to maintain the raspberry filling in place, in addition to for a skinny crumb coat on the outside of the cake. The recipe beneath, additionally discovered on my chocolate buttercream web page, makes simply the quantity we’d like for every thing.
Is your chocolate buttercream lighter in coloration than you need? See my tried-and-true trick for darkening it above the chocolate buttercream recipe (warmth a few of it!).
Do you get pleasure from chocolate mousse as an alternative? Swap the buttercream for the chocolate mousse filling from my chocolate mousse cake.
Chocolate Raspberry Ganache Topping
You may completely make a basic 2-ingredient chocolate ganache, or you may swap out a number of the heavy cream for raspberry liqueur, which supplies this subtle cake that *little one thing additional.*
Usually, for making chocolate ganache, you want 8 ounces (weight) chocolate and eight ounces (quantity) heavy cream. (Improve/lower every for extra/much less.) For topping this chocolate raspberry cake, I used 2 baking bars (that’s 8 ounces/226g) of bittersweet chocolate (Ghirardelli model 60% cacao), 3/4 cup (180ml) heavy cream, and 1/4 cup (60ml) Chambord raspberry liqueur.
So, I changed a number of the heavy cream with the raspberry liqueur. Once more, you don’t have to do that. You may keep on with 8 ounces chocolate + 8 ounces cream if desired.
Let it barely cool within the fridge for about half-hour to thicken up earlier than spreading on the cake (which additionally wants some chill time after you apply the frosting crumb coat).
Easy methods to Assemble & Embellish This Chocolate Raspberry Cake
Admittedly, I’m not an expert cake decorator, so with all of my layer truffles, I favor simplicity. Let me share how I stack and adorn this 3-layer chocolate raspberry cake.
Begin by leveling your truffles, if wanted, to create a flat floor for stacking and adorning.
Spoon about 1/2 cup of the chocolate buttercream right into a piping bag fitted with a big spherical piping tip. I exploit Wilton 2A. (Or simply use a disposable piping bag and lower about 3/4 inch (2cm) off the tip and use that with no piping tip.) Place the underside cooled cake layer in your cake stand or serving plate. Utilizing a large icing spatula or small offset spatula, evenly cowl the highest with about 1/4 cup of chocolate buttercream frosting (a skinny layer).
Then, pipe a thick border of frosting across the fringe of the cake to create a “dam” for the raspberry filling. Unfold half of the raspberry filling (heaping 1/2 cup) on prime of the frosted cake layer, staying throughout the buttercream border:
Repeat the identical actual course of with the second cake layer.
Place the third cake layer on prime, after which unfold a skinny layer (no matter you have got left) of the chocolate buttercream on prime and across the sides as a crumb coat. Run a bench scraper across the cake to easy it out:
Refrigerate the cake for a minimum of half-hour and as much as 3 hours to set the crumb coat. Throughout this time, I normally make and chill the ganache.
Pour cooled chocolate ganache on prime and unfold all around the cake. Look how a lot this ganache thickens! It’s liquid at first, and half-hour within the fridge works magic. I exploit a large icing spatula to unfold it all around the cake.
A cluster of contemporary raspberries is the proper completion on prime of this cake. A masterpiece for a special day like Valentine’s Day, this chocolate raspberry cake is the proper marriage of chocolate and berry. See much more Valentine’s Day dessert recipes.
So many parts! So many layers! I hope you get pleasure from.
Are you new to layer truffles? Don’t miss these full lists of cake success suggestions and cake baking instruments.
Really helpful Instruments
Get pleasure from layers of moist darkish chocolate cake, candy creamy chocolate buttercream, and home made raspberry filling, all lined with an opulent chocolate raspberry ganache.
Chocolate Raspberry Ganache
- Make the raspberry filling: Whisk the cornstarch and water collectively till all of the cornstarch has dissolved. (I simply use a fork to combine—very straightforward.) Mix cornstarch combination, raspberries (no must thaw if utilizing frozen), granulated sugar, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan set over medium warmth. Utilizing a silicone spatula, stir the combination, mashing the raspberries as they start to thaw and soften. Convey to a boil and let it boil for five full minutes, stirring often. Take away pan from warmth and stir in vanilla extract.
- Enable the raspberry filling to chill at room temperature for 10–quarter-hour, then switch it to a bowl or container and place it within the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours and as much as 1 week (the longer, the higher). No must cowl it, but when refrigerating for longer than 4 hours, cowl tightly. It’ll proceed to thicken up because it chills. Raspberry filling should be fully chilled earlier than utilizing in your cake. If freezing, see Word beneath for directions.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease three 9-inch cake pans, line with parchment paper rounds, then grease the parchment paper. Parchment paper helps the truffles seamlessly launch from the pans. (If it’s useful, see this parchment paper rounds for truffles video & put up.)
- Make the cake: Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder (if utilizing) collectively in a big bowl. Put aside. Utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or you need to use a whisk), combine the oil, eggs, and bitter cream collectively on medium-high velocity till mixed. Add the buttermilk and vanilla and beat till mixed. Pour the moist substances into the dry substances, add the recent water/espresso, and whisk or beat on low velocity till the batter is totally mixed. Fold within the flour-coated chocolate chips. Batter is skinny and you may even see some air bubbles on the floor—that’s regular. It’s best to have about 6–6.5 cups of batter, or round 1400g.
- Divide batter evenly between 3 pans. Bake for about 24–26 minutes. Baking occasions fluctuate, so regulate yours. The truffles are carried out when a toothpick inserted within the heart comes out clear.
- Take away the truffles from the oven and set on a wire rack. Enable to chill fully within the pan. The truffles might barely sink within the center as they cool—that’s anticipated.
- Because the truffles cool, make the chocolate buttercream: With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the butter on medium velocity till creamy, about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, heavy cream, salt, and vanilla extract. Beat on low velocity for 30 seconds, then enhance to excessive velocity and beat for 1 full minute. Style. Beat in one other pinch of salt if desired. (Would you like your buttercream darker in coloration? I’ve a trick detailed on the total chocolate buttercream web page.) You’re going to make use of this buttercream for a skinny layer underneath the raspberry filling, a piped “dam” round 2 of the cake layers, and for the crumb coat. Makes about 2.5 cups whole.
- Start layering with raspberry filling and buttercream: Place 1 cooled cake layer in your cake stand or serving plate. Utilizing a large icing spatula or small offset spatula, evenly cowl the highest with about 1/4 cup of chocolate buttercream frosting (a skinny layer). Spoon about 1/2 cup of the chocolate buttercream right into a piping bag fitted with a big spherical piping tip. I exploit Wilton 2A. (Or simply use a disposable piping bag and lower about 3/4 inch off the tip and use that with no piping tip.) Pipe a thick border of buttercream across the fringe of the frosted cake layer, utilizing about half of the buttercream within the piping bag. Then, utilizing a small offset spatula, unfold half of the thickened and chilled raspberry filling (about 1/2 cup) contained in the buttercream border. Place second cake layer on prime after which repeat the filling course of: unfold frosting, pipe border with remaining frosting in piping bag (when you ran out, simply use extra from the large bowl of buttercream), then unfold on remaining raspberry filling. High with third cake layer.
- Apply crumb coat: Utilizing the remaining chocolate buttercream, unfold a skinny layer of buttercream on the highest and across the sides as a crumb coat. Run a bench scraper across the cake to easy out crumb coat. Chill uncovered within the fridge for a minimum of half-hour and as much as 3 hours to set the crumb coat.
- As your crumb coat units, make and chill the chocolate ganache: Place finely chopped chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl. Warmth the cream and raspberry liqueur, if utilizing, in a small saucepan over medium warmth till it begins to softly simmer. (Don’t let it come to a fast boil—that’s too sizzling!) Pour over chocolate, then let it sit for two–3 minutes to softly soften the chocolate. With a metallic spoon or small rubber spatula, very slowly stir till chocolate has melted and combination is easy. Ganache is skinny. The finer you chopped the chocolate, the faster it would soften with the cream. If it’s not melting, don’t microwave it. If wanted, see Troubleshooting Chocolate Ganache. As soon as ganache combination is easy, let it chill for half-hour within the fridge to thicken earlier than spreading on chilled crumb-coated cake.
- Pour/spoon thickened ganache on chilled cake, and unfold throughout cake with an icing spatula. Garnish with contemporary raspberries, if desired. Serve cake instantly or chill, uncovered, for as much as 4–6 hours earlier than serving. Cake will be served at room temperature or chilled.
- Cowl leftover cake tightly and retailer within the fridge for five days. I like utilizing a cake carrier for storing and transporting.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions for Cake: Put together cake via step 6. Wrap the person baked and cooled cake layers tightly and refrigerate for as much as 2 days or freeze as much as 3 months. Convey to room temperature, then proceed with step 7. You may put together the raspberry filling and chocolate buttercream prematurely. See step 2 for raspberry sauce particulars. For the buttercream, cowl and refrigerate for as much as 3 days. Convey to room temperature earlier than utilizing and beat in a little bit extra room-temperature heavy cream to skinny out if crucial. You may also put together the chocolate ganache forward of time. Refrigerate ready ganache for as much as 3 days. Convey to room temperature earlier than spreading onto cake. Frosted cake freezes effectively, as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then deliver to room temperature or serve chilly.
- Freezing Directions for Raspberry Filling: After the raspberry filling cools fully, freeze in a freezer-friendly container for as much as 3–6 months. Thaw on the counter or within the fridge earlier than utilizing. It will likely be very thick.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Electrical Mixer (Handheld or Stand Mixer) | 9-inch Cake Pans | Large Icing Spatula | Small Offset Spatula | Bench Scraper | Piping Bag (Disposable or Reusable) and Large Round Piping Tip for buttercream “dam” | Cake Carrier
- Cocoa Powder: This recipe requires pure cocoa powder for its acidity, so don’t use dutch-process.
- Espresso Powder/Espresso: Espresso powder and low is not going to make the cake style like espresso. Fairly, they deepen the chocolate taste. I extremely advocate them each. If espresso isn’t your factor, you may pass over the espresso powder and use additional sizzling water as an alternative of the recent espresso.
- Bitter Cream: As a substitute of bitter cream, you need to use plain yogurt. The cake gained’t style as wealthy, however it’s a tremendous substitute.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk is required for this recipe. You may make your individual DIY model of buttermilk if wanted. Add 1 teaspoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a liquid measuring cup. Then add sufficient entire milk to the identical measuring cup till it reaches 1/2 cup (120ml). (In a pinch, lower-fat or nondairy milks work for this soured milk, however the cake gained’t style as moist or wealthy.) Stir it round and let sit for five minutes. The home made “buttermilk” shall be considerably curdled and able to use within the recipe.
- Why Room Temperature? All refrigerated gadgets needs to be at room temperature so the batter and frosting combine collectively simply and evenly. Learn extra about why room temperature substances are necessary.
- Chocolate Raspberry Ganache: Be happy to interchange the raspberry liqueur with 1/4 cup (60ml) extra heavy cream to make a plain chocolate ganache as an alternative. When melting chocolate, I like to recommend utilizing pure chocolate baking bars (chocolate chips have stabilizers). You could find them proper subsequent to the chocolate chips within the baking aisle. I like Bakers or Ghirardelli manufacturers, those labeled bittersweet (60% cacao) or semi-sweet (56% cacao), which are available 4-ounce (113g) bars.
- 6-Inch Cake: To make a scaled-down 3-layer 6-inch model of this cake, use this batter for chocolate cupcakes and observe my 6-inch cake baking directions and particulars. I like to recommend utilizing the identical quantity of raspberry filling, and having some left over. Use about 1/3 cup between the layers. You may halve the buttercream and ganache recipes.
- Cupcakes: For raspberry-filled chocolate cupcakes, make these very comparable cream-filled chocolate cupcakes, however swap the cream filling for the raspberry filling.
- Useful Tutorials: 10 Ideas for Baking Good Desserts | Easy methods to Make Parchment Paper Rounds for Desserts | Raspberry Cake Filling | Chocolate Buttercream | Chocolate Ganache | 10 Important Cake Baking & Adorning Instruments
Key phrases: chocolate raspberry cake