Popeyes Purple Beans and Rice got here in direct response to many individuals’s requests. You’ll be able to take pleasure in Cajun meals if you find yourself not in New Orleans.
This put up comprises affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Makes Popeyes Purple Beans and Rice So Good?
Whereas there isn’t any denying Popeye’s serves superb rooster, the chain’s different Southern classics, equivalent to their model of Purple Beans and Rice, are equally good. Purple Beans and Rice is a favourite of many diners as a result of it’s cheap, filling, and has that genuine Louisiana everybody loves.
In case you are a fan of the Popeyes Purple Beans and Rice recipe, you bought to do that copycat model as a result of it’s even tastier.
Why You Ought to Strive This Copycat Recipe for Purple Beans and Rice
The explanation this model surpasses even Popeye’s is that it makes use of an actual ham hock. Southern cooks historically love ham hocks for the deep, meaty, smoky taste they communicate to their beans, however the recipe for Popeyes Purple Beans and Rice doesn’t embrace it.
If you’ll find one, use it, however if you happen to would relatively not, see under for a budget-friendly vegetarian different.
Popeyes Purple Beans and Rice Components
To make this Popeyes Purple Beans and Rice recipe, you’ll want:
- Purple beans, canned
- Smoked ham hock
- Onion powder
- Garlic salt
- Purple pepper flakes
- Floor pepper
- Lengthy grain rice
A bigger ham hock means extra taste. Choose one weighing half a pound or extra. In case you don’t need to use a ham hock, 1/4 teaspoon of liquid smoke is an effective different.
In case you depart the ham hock out since you desire a vegetarian model of this recipe, ensure that to interchange the lard with three tablespoons of olive oil.
Please use good-quality rice with this. We didn’t just like the outcomes with Minute Rice, however Success Rice boil-in-the-bag did come out properly. It is possible for you to to make Popeye’s Purple Beans and Rice at residence with this recipe.
Easy methods to Make Purple Beans and Rice Like Popeyes
To arrange this copycat Popeyes Purple Beans and Rice:
- Empty two cans of the beans right into a medium sauce pan. Add the ham hock and water.
- Carry the uncovered beans to a simmer over medium warmth. Prepare dinner for about an hour till the meat is tender. Regulate the beans to make sure they by no means come to a full boil or dry out.
- Take the pot off the range and permit it to take a seat till the ham hock is cool sufficient to deal with. Take away the meat from the bone and cube it till small items.
- Discard the bone and return the meat to the pan. Stir within the remaining seasonings and the lard.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the beans for just a few seconds to assist break up the beans. You should utilize a meals processor if you happen to don’t have a stick blender.
- Dump in a can of drained purple beans and pulse a couple of times simply to interrupt them up just a little. Return the bean combination to the pan in case you are utilizing a meals processor.
- Stir the uncovered beans over low warmth for a couple of minutes to heat them evenly, and serve.
How To Serve Purple Beans and Rice
Ladle the purple beans right into a bowl. Spoon scorching white rice within the middle of the purple beans. Strive garnishing with a number of slices of inexperienced onions or scallions for a pop of shade and an additional burst of taste. Serve with scorching sauce on the aspect.
What Goes With Purple Beans and Rice?
You’ll be able to serve purple beans and rice as a foremost course, however it’s extra usually a aspect dish with fried rooster. Different sides that go along with it embrace mac n cheese, biscuits, and coleslaw.
How To Retailer Leftovers
Let further purple beans cool, after which retailer them in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as three days.
To maintain the beans longer, you’ll be able to freeze them for as much as three months in a freezer bag.
In case you have a number of leftovers, attempt freezing particular person parts.
Easy methods to Reheat Beans and Rice for the Finest Outcomes
For one of the best taste and texture, put together the rice contemporary.
Whereas the rice is cooking, you’ve gotten time to reheat the beans the proper manner:
- Dump the thawed beans in an ovenproof casserole dish with a splash of water on the underside.
- Cowl and warmth for about 15 to twenty minutes in a 350-degree oven till scorching.
Common Quick-Meals Copycat Recipes
Get pleasure from rice? Take a look at my favourite rice recipes
Be certain to try extra of one of the best aspect dishes and copycat restaurant recipes.
Did you take pleasure in this copycat recipe? Signal as much as obtain extra copycat recipes.
Subscribe to CopyKat.com
Love CopyKat Recipes? Be notified when new recipes are launched.
Popeyes Purple Beans and Rice
You can also make superb purple beans and rice like Popeyes.
Add to Assortment Go to Collections
- 3 cans purple beans
- 1 smoked ham hock (1/2 to three/4 pound) (or substitute with 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon purple pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly floor pepper
- 4 cups cooked lengthy grain rice for serving
Pour 2 cans of beans right into a 2-quart saucepan together with the ham hock and water.
Simmer on medium warmth for an hour, till the meat begins to loosen from the bone.
Take away from the warmth and funky till the ham hock is cool sufficient to deal with.
Take away the meat from the bone, and place the meat, beans, and liquid from the pot in a meals processor.
Add the onion powder, garlic salt, purple pepper flakes, salt, and lard.
Course of for less than 4 seconds. The beans ought to be chopped and the liquid thick.
Drain the remaining can of beans and add it to the processor.
Course of for only a second or two; you need these beans to stay nearly complete.
Pour every thing again into the pan and cook dinner slowly on low warmth, stirring usually, till you’re able to serve.
Serve over rice.
Energy: 365kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 20g | Fats: 11g | Saturated Fats: 3g | Ldl cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 304mg | Potassium: 632mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 15IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 4mg