These festive Easter cookies are gentle and buttery with hints of vanilla and almond. Fairly in pastel shades, they’re topped with my favourite royal icing and adorned to appear to be Easter eggs, PEEPS-inspired bunnies with marshmallow tails, and carrots. For less complicated designs, like on the bunnies and carrots, you need to use my simple glaze cookie icing. Attractive on a plate and fast to vanish, these springtime treats are eggs-tra particular. See what I did there? 😉
For immediately’s Easter cookies, I exploit my traditional sugar cookies recipe. No shock there, as a result of it’s one of the standard recipes on my web site! It’s beloved by many, and positively one to maintain in your again pocket together with my recipes for chocolate chip cookies and pie crust.
(In the event you want a gentle and virtually creamier-style sugar cookie, you’ll be able to take immediately’s adorning inspiration and apply it to my cut-out cream cheese cookies.)
So A lot to Love About These Easter Cookies
- Texture: In the event you hold the rolled-out dough thick sufficient, you’ll be rewarded with additional gentle and thick sugar cookie facilities. The perimeters are good and crisp, and the royal icing on prime provides a textural distinction as properly.
- Taste: Candy, vanilla- and almond-hinted, and irresistibly buttery.
- Ease: The dough is surprisingly simple to place collectively, however if you need the cookies to appear to be the photographs right here, you’ll want just a few adorning instruments. See the total listing of Really useful Instruments under.
- Time: I like to recommend setting apart a day for making and adorning these Easter cookies. It’s sometimes 4 hours from begin to end, relying on the extent of adorning element you need. There’s loads of hands-off time if you wish to make one other one among my spring dessert recipes!
Overview: The right way to Make Easter Cookies
- Make cookie dough. You want 7–8 elements for the dough. With so few elements, it’s necessary that you just comply with the recipe carefully. Creamed butter and sugar present the bottom of the cookie dough. Egg is the cookie’s construction and vanilla extract provides taste. I virtually all the time add a contact of almond extract for extra taste. Flour is an apparent ingredient, baking powder provides a bit of carry, and salt balances the candy.
- Divide in 2 items. Smaller sections of dough are simpler to roll out.
- Roll out cookie dough. Roll it out to 1/4-inch thickness. When you have issue evenly rolling out dough, do this adjustable rolling pin. It’s actually useful!
- Chill rolled-out cookie dough. With out chilling, these cookie cutter cookies received’t maintain their form. Chill the rolled-out cookie dough for at the very least 2 hours and as much as 2 days.
- Lower into shapes. In the event you want recommendations for cookie cutters, I like Ann Clark brand. (Not sponsored, only a real fan!) For the cookies pictured right here, I used an egg cookie cutter, bunny cookie cutters, and the carrot from this set. That set contains an egg and a bunny, plus different Easter- and spring-themed shapes.
- Bake & cool. Relying on measurement, the cookies want about 12 minutes within the oven.
- Beautify. Extra on the icing under.
The Trick Is the Order of Steps
Discover how I roll out the dough BEFORE chilling it within the fridge?
Let me clarify why I do that. Similar to whenever you’re making, say, double chocolate chip cookies, to forestall them from over-spreading, the cookie dough should chill within the fridge. For immediately’s Easter cookies, roll out the dough proper after you make it, then chill the rolled-out dough. (As a result of at this level the dough is just too gentle to chop into shapes.) Don’t chill the cookie dough after which attempt to roll it out as a result of will probably be too chilly and exhausting. I divide the dough in half earlier than rolling it out, and extremely advocate you do the identical. Smaller sections of dough are merely extra manageable.
Right here’s one other trick! Roll out the cookie dough instantly on silicone baking mats or parchment paper sheets so you’ll be able to simply switch it to the fridge. Choose the entire thing up, set it on a baking sheet, and place it within the fridge. In the event you don’t have sufficient room for two baking sheets in your fridge, you’ll be able to stack the items of rolled-out dough on prime of one another (with parchment or baking mat in between).
The cookies keep gentle for days, so if you wish to save time, these are a superb make-ahead Easter dessert choice since you received’t lose any deliciousness. Preserve them in an hermetic container at room temperature till prepared to brighten.
Select Your Icing
I hyperlink to 2 icing choices within the written recipe under. You should use both icing on immediately’s Easter cookies, and it simply depends upon the look you’re going for. (And the way a lot effort you wish to put in!)
- Select royal icing if you need exact ornamental element in your cookies, significantly the Easter egg cookies in these photographs. It’s really my most popular sugar cookie icing as a result of it’s simple to make use of, dries in a few hours, and doesn’t have a texture akin to hardened cement. It’s really on the softer facet, with a bit of crisp to it! It requires meringue powder, which is a specialty ingredient however is extra available nowadays. Yow will discover it in some grocery retailer baking aisles, most craft shops which have a baking part, or you’ll be able to shop for meringue powder online.
- Select simple cookie icing if you happen to’re going for a extra easy design, such because the pictured bunnies and carrots. You possibly can *most likely* use this for the element on the Easter egg sugar cookies, however the element received’t be as sharp. I often go for this icing if I’m adorning with younger bakers, or if I don’t really feel like utilizing my electrical mixer. It has a glaze consistency, and takes longer to dry than the royal icing: about 24 hours.
On immediately’s pictured cookies, I used royal icing.
Once more, use royal icing for clear particulars on the Easter egg-shaped cookies. Divide the batch of royal icing up into just a few bowls, and use gel meals coloring to tint the icing totally different colours. I exploit Wilton round icing tip #4 for outlining and flooding, then let that layer dry utterly. I often place the adorned cookies on a baking sheet (or I beautify them instantly on the baking sheet), make some room within the fridge, and stick the pan inside. The icing will set in about half-hour.
Or use glaze-style cookie icing for a easy ornament. This works on merely adorned cookies reminiscent of these Christmas sugar cookies and would work splendidly on the bunnies and carrots in immediately’s photographs. (You possibly can, in fact, use royal icing for the bunnies and carrots as a substitute.)
For the bunnies, I saved the icing white and added sanding sugar sprinkles on prime whereas the icing was moist, then minimize a mini marshmallow in half for the tail. For the carrots, I saved the icing white for the stems and added inexperienced sanding sugar. Then I tinted a few of the icing orange for the carrot itself.
For the bunnies, you can even skip the marshmallow tails and use some melted chocolate or brown icing so as to add eyes and a nostril. So cute!
Stack, wrap, present, and/or retailer: As soon as the icing layers have set, you’ll be able to stack, wrap, present, ship, and/or retailer these Easter cookies for per week. Are you able to imagine that a few of the cookies in these photos are 3 weeks outdated? I froze them, allow them to thaw on the counter, and snapped an image earlier than I set them out for serving. There’s a bit of little bit of a texture distinction between frozen and thawed icing and freshly made icing (each icings style a *bit* more durable after freezing), however nobody ever appears to thoughts… or discover.
Really useful Instruments for Your Easter Cookies
- Handheld or Stand Mixer
- Rolling Pin or this Adjustable Rolling Pin
- Baking Sheets
- Silicone Baking Mats or Parchment Sheets
- Cookie Cutters: I used an egg cookie cutter, bunny cookie cutters, and the carrot from this set. That set contains an egg and a bunny, plus different Easter- and spring-themed shapes.
- Americolor Soft Gel Paste Color Kit: In my expertise, that is the BEST coloring for royal icing and easy glaze cookie icing. The colours are all the time so wealthy and vivid. You solely want a teeny drip for the pastel colours in immediately’s cookies. So these colours will final you a really very long time! I used the sky blue, lemon yellow, violet, and fuchsia. And I used the orange for the carrots.
- Piping Suggestions/Squeeze Bottle: In the event you’re utilizing piping baggage and icing suggestions, I like to recommend Wilton icing tip #4 for outlining and flooding your cookies. For exact element, such because the dots and features on the Easter egg cookies, use icing tip #2 or icing tip #1. In the event you’re not piping intricate particulars in your cookies, you need to use a squeeze bottle as a substitute of piping baggage and icing suggestions. A bottle is much less intimidating than piping suggestions, and really simple for younger bakers to make use of. I don’t advocate a squeeze bottle if you need sharp icing element, although.
- Disposable or reusable piping bags: You should use these for both icing, alongside along with your icing suggestions.
- Coupler(s): In the event you solely have 1 piping tip and wish to beautify with a number of colours of icing, hold the tip on the skin of the bag through the use of a coupler so you’ll be able to simply switch the piping tip to different baggage of coloured icing.
- Sanding Sugar Sprinkles: These are bought in most grocery shops within the baking aisle. It’s also possible to organize them on-line. I like Wilton or CK Products manufacturers. I exploit these on the pictured bunnies and carrot cookies.
You’ll additionally take pleasure in my buttercream egg candies or peanut butter eggs. And hop on over to my Easter recipes part or my Easter brunch recipes publish or Easter dessert recipes publish if you happen to want extra scrumptious concepts. 🙂
These festive Easter cookies are gentle and buttery with hints of vanilla and almond. Fairly in pastel shades, they’re topped with my favourite royal icing and adorned like Easter eggs, PEEPS-inspired bunnies with marshmallow tails, and easy carrots. For less complicated designs, like on the bunnies and carrots, you need to use my simple glaze cookie icing.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt collectively in a medium bowl. Put aside.
- In a big bowl utilizing a handheld or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar collectively on excessive velocity till utterly clean and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract (if utilizing) and beat on excessive velocity till mixed, about 1 minute. Scrape down the perimeters and up the underside of the bowl and beat once more as wanted to mix.
- Add the dry elements to the moist elements and blend on low velocity till mixed. Dough will probably be a bit gentle. If the dough appears too gentle and sticky for rolling, add 1 extra Tablespoon of flour.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal elements. Place every portion onto a bit of evenly floured parchment paper or a evenly floured silicone baking mat. With a evenly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness. Use extra flour if the dough appears too sticky. The rolled-out dough may be any form, so long as it’s evenly 1/4-inch thick.
- Evenly mud one of many rolled-out dough parts with flour. Place a bit of parchment paper on prime. (This prevents sticking.) Place the 2nd rolled-out dough on prime. Cowl with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then refrigerate for at the very least 1–2 hours and as much as 2 days.
- As soon as chilled, preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 2 or 3 giant baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Rigorously take away the highest dough piece from the fridge. If it’s sticking to the underside, run your hand beneath it to assist take away it. Utilizing a cookie cutter, minimize the dough into shapes. I used an egg cookie cutter, bunny cookie cutters, and the carrot from this set.
- Re-roll the remaining dough and proceed slicing till all is used. Repeat with 2nd piece of dough. (Be aware: It doesn’t appear to be quite a lot of dough, however you get quite a lot of cookies from the dough scraps you re-roll.)
- Organize cookies on baking sheets 3 inches aside. Bake for 11–12 minutes or till evenly browned across the edges. In case your oven has scorching spots, rotate the baking sheets midway by way of bake time. Permit cookies to chill on the baking sheet for five minutes, then switch to a wire rack to chill utterly earlier than adorning.
- Beautify: Put together royal icing or cookie glaze icing. In the event you’re utilizing royal icing, it’s greatest to make use of piping baggage and suggestions. In the event you’re utilizing the cookie glaze icing, you need to use a squeeze bottle or piping baggage/suggestions. Needless to say if you need sharp design element on the Easter eggs, it’s greatest to make use of royal icing and piping baggage/suggestions.
- For the carrots and bunnies: Preserve a lot of the icing white for the bunnies and carrot tops, and tint some orange for the carrots. Utilizing icing tip #4 or a squeeze bottle, define and flood the bunnies and the carrot tops with white icing. Instantly prime with sanding sugar sprinkles. And, for the bunnies, add a halved marshmallow “tail” whereas the icing continues to be moist. If making the carrot cookies, define and flood the orange icing after making use of the inexperienced sprinkles on the carrot tops. Permit icing to set. No have to cowl the adorned cookies as you look ahead to the icing to set. If it’s useful, beautify the cookies instantly on a baking sheet so you’ll be able to place the whole baking sheet within the fridge to assist velocity up the icing setting. Royal icing units inside about 2 hours, and cookie glaze icing units in about 24 hours.
- For the Easter eggs: Divide icing up amongst just a few bowls. I used 4 colors: sky blue, lemon yellow, violet, and fuchsia. I left some icing white. Utilizing icing tip #4, define and flood along with your base coloration(s). Permit icing to set (I place the cookies within the fridge so the icing units in about half-hour). Utilizing piping tip #2 or piping tip #1, add ornamental designs in numerous colours like polka dots, squiggles, plaid, or stripes. Permit icing to set. No have to cowl the adorned cookies as you look ahead to the icing to set. If it’s useful, beautify the cookies instantly on a baking sheet so you’ll be able to place the whole baking sheet within the fridge to assist velocity up the icing setting. Royal icing units inside about 2 hours.
- Get pleasure from cookies straight away or wait till the icing units to serve them. As soon as the icing has set, these cookies are nice for gifting or for sending. Plain or adorned cookies keep gentle for about 5 days when lined tightly at room temperature. For longer storage, cowl and refrigerate for as much as 10 days.
- Freezing Directions: Plain or adorned sugar cookies freeze properly as much as 3 months. Watch for the icing to set utterly earlier than layering between sheets of parchment paper in a freezer-friendly container. To thaw, thaw within the fridge or at room temperature. It’s also possible to freeze the cookie dough for as much as 3 months earlier than rolling it out. Put together the dough by way of step 3, divide in half, flatten each halves into discs as we do with pie crust, wrap every in plastic wrap, then freeze. To thaw, thaw the discs within the fridge, then convey to room temperature for about 1 hour. Roll out the dough as directed in step 4, then chill rolled-out dough within the fridge for 45 minutes to 1 hour earlier than slicing into shapes and baking.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Electrical Mixer (Handheld or Stand Mixer) | Baking Sheets | Silicone Baking Mats or Parchment Sheets | Cookie Cutters (I used an egg cookie cutter, bunny cookie cutters, and the carrot from this set) | Americolor Soft Gel Paste Color Kit | Wilton Icing Tip #4 for outlining and flooding | Wilton Icing Tip #2 or Wilton Icing Tip #1 for Easter egg element | Squeeze Bottle | Disposable or Reusable Piping Bags | Couplers
- Room Temperature: Room-temperature butter is important. If the dough is just too sticky, your butter might have been too gentle. Room-temperature butter is definitely cool to the contact. Room-temperature egg is most popular so it’s shortly and evenly combined into the cookie dough.
- Flavors: I like flavoring this cookie dough with 1/2 teaspoon almond extract as listed within the elements above. For lighter taste, use 1/4 teaspoon. As an alternative of the almond extract, attempt utilizing 1 teaspoon of maple extract, coconut extract, lemon extract, or peppermint extract. If utilizing lemon extract, you may also add 1 Tablespoon lemon zest.
- Make sure you take a look at my prime 5 cookie baking suggestions AND these are my 10 must-have cookie baking instruments.