A candy and easy recipe for no-chill sugar cookies, these are buttery and tender with crisp outlined edges and don’t require any chilling within the fridge.
Final-Minute Reduce-Out Cookies
Sneaking in simply earlier than Christmas with a last-minute cookie recipe for all of my fellow procrastinators on the market! I truly hesitated fairly a bit to share this no-chill sugar cookie recipe, and virtually didn’t. Solely as a result of I have already got a fairly unimaginable, well-loved, highly-rated and straightforward sugar cookie recipe on the weblog.
The one disadvantage? My authentic recipe requires a number of hours of chilling. When you’ve got the time, I’ll at all times favor the unique. However, generally, nicely, we’d like sugar cookies with out chilling. We’d like them quick and don’t have time to attend for refrigeration, regardless of how obnoxiously necessary we know that step could also be.
Which is why I’m more than happy to be sharing as we speak’s completely no-refrigerator required, no-chill sugar cookie recipe. For these of you who’re procrastinators (very like myself) and end up in determined want of cookies for Santa and barely any time remaining earlier than the sleigh pulls as much as the rooftop.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- NO CHILLING!
- Easy to arrange with primary components.
- Yields stunning, even cookies with sharp, outlined edges.
- A forgiving dough; I embody tricks to keep away from frequent sugar cookie pitfalls, but additionally methods to resolve them should you omitted the information and bumped into them anyway.
- Yields buttery, completely sweetened cookies you can customise the flavour of together with your favourite extracts.
- Fast and straightforward, this recipe might be performed in beneath an hour!
What You Want
The components wanted listed below are basically the identical as those utilized in my traditional sugar cookies, with one notable exception. Let’s go over these earlier than we get began:
- Butter. Arguably a very powerful ingredient, your butter has the ability to make or break your no-chill sugar cookies. Your butter ought to be softened, however not fully to room temperature. It ought to nonetheless have a little bit of a chill to it, if it’s too heat or tender it could possibly make the dough sticky and tough to make use of. Verify that your butter isn’t melting (the surface of it shouldn’t be oily). If you wish to be actually technical, use an instant read thermometer (⬅️ affiliate hyperlink for the one I exploit) to examine the temperature of your butter. At its heart, it ought to learn near 65F (18C).
- Extracts. Vanilla extract offers the cookies their traditional vanilla taste. A little bit of almond extract provides one thing further particular, however might be skipped should you don’t love the flavour (or be at liberty to substitute with lemon extract).
- Flour. Use all-purpose flour. Whereas I like to recommend at all times measuring your flour correctly, with this recipe you even have a little bit of wiggle room, and should you run into a difficulty with sticky dough you possibly can at all times add a spoonful extra as wanted.
- Cornstarch. My secret weapon, I choose to make use of a mix of flour and cornstarch reasonably than simply flour. An excessive amount of flour could make the cookies cakey and bland. Cornstarch works very like flour on this recipe, however you need to use a lot much less of it, retaining the cookies tender and flavorful.
- Baking powder. A pinch of baking powder retains the cookies from being too dense. It affords a slight little bit of raise that retains their texture excellent.
SAM’S TIP; TOPPINGS: My straightforward sugar cookie icing and straightforward royal icing each work splendidly for icing these cookies (I used my royal icing within the photographs right here). Nonetheless you can too skip the icing utterly and simply sprinkle the cut-out cookies with coloured sanding sugar earlier than baking them.
Keep in mind, that is simply an summary of the components I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the put up!
How you can Make No-Chill Sugar Cookies
- Cream the butter & sugar. Beat them collectively till mild and fluffy, a few minute or so with an electrical mixer.
- Stir in egg and extracts. Scrape the bowl periodically to make sure all components are well-combined.
- Put together the dough. Whisk collectively the dry components individually, then, together with your mixer on low-speed, regularly add the flour till utterly mixed. You don’t wish to over-work this dough (which might heat the butter and make the dough sticky) however take your time including the flour and ensure it’s utterly mixed.
- Roll it out. No chilling wanted, take your dough straight to a clear frivolously floured floor and roll it out as thick or skinny as you’d like. Ensure that to periodically scrape beneath the dough with a spatula whilst you’re rolling it to make certain it’s not sticking to your counter!
- Reduce & bake! Use cookie cutters to chop out shapes and place these great no-chill sugar cookies on a baking sheet. The cookies gained’t unfold, however give an inch or so of house between cookies to provide them some respiration room. Bake till the cookies are simply starting to show a very mild golden brown on the sides.
SAM’S TIP: Add your flour regularly. This dough is designed to be a bit extra dry and agency than different cookie doughs (it’s how we’re capable of skip the chilling), so it takes a while for the moist components to soak up all of that flour. I like to recommend including the flour combination in 4 or 5 components and guaranteeing it’s all been included earlier than including the following bit. In case your dough appears dry and crumbly, you may need simply overwhelmed it with flour. Simply hold mixing and it’ll come collectively.
Continuously Requested Questions
Should you wouldn’t have cornstarch you possibly can go away it out and as an alternative use 3-4 extra Tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
Dough that’s too crumbly is usually brought on by by chance utilizing an excessive amount of flour. Please see my put up on methods to measure flour correctly.
That being stated, this can be a pretty forgiving dough and might deal with extra flour than known as for. In case your dough is just too dry and crumbly and cracking the flour could have been added too shortly, sooner than the moist components might correctly take in it. To stop this, add the dry components slowly, in 5 components, and stir till the entire flour has been absorbed earlier than including extra. Should you’re within the thick of it and have already added all your flour, simply hold mixing. It would all come collectively properly, however it is likely to be extra of an arm exercise this manner.
Sticky dough is probably the results of butter that was too heat or over-handling your dough. I designed this dough to be simply dry sufficient that it didn’t want to relax, however I used to be intentional about making it nonetheless tender sufficient that you just’d have a pleasant, buttery, and flavorful cookie (one which didn’t style like flour!). In case your butter was melty/oily if you used it (you didn’t microwave it to melt it, did you!?) or should you blended the dough for much longer than known as for or dealt with it together with your arms an important deal, this may trigger it to be sticky.
This may be mounted; slowly stir extra flour into the dough till it’s manageable or, if the dough is already in your clear floor for rolling, sprinkle dough on the counter and over the dough and blend it in by hand till manageable.
You additionally might chill this dough for 15-20 minutes to treatment dough that’s gotten too heat. This works nice, however then after all these gained’t precisely be no-chill sugar cookies 😉
I’d not suggest it because the dough is just too stiff and purposefully designed to be rolled out. As an alternative, I’d suggest attempting my drop sugar cookies.
I’ve a couple of extra recipes in retailer for you this yr however this will probably be my final dessert recipe of 2022. Merry Christmas, and I hope this recipe is useful (should you get pleasure from it let me know and I’ll attempt to movie a video for it for the following vacation season)!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! Should you do this recipe, make sure you tag me on Instagram, and you can too discover me on YouTube and Facebook
No-Chill Sugar Cookies
The right last-minute cookie, this no-chill sugar cookie recipe requires, nicely, no chilling! It is easy to make and yields perfectly-sweet, buttery sugar cookies with crisp outlined edges.
Servings: 30 2.5″ cookies, see word
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put aside.
In a big mixing bowl, use an electrical mixer (or stand mixer) to beat collectively butter and sugar till creamy and well-combined (about 1 minute on medium pace).
1 cup unsalted butter, 1 cup granulated sugar
Add egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract and beat on medium-speed till utterly mixed. You’ll want to scrape the edges and backside of the bowl so components are completely mixed.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 massive egg, ¼ teaspoon almond extract
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk collectively flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
2 ¾ cup all-purpose flour, 2 Tablespoons cornstarch, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt
With mixer on low-speed, very regularly add flour combination to butter combination till utterly mixed. It is a pretty dry dough, one of the simplest ways to maintain it from being dry and crumbly is so as to add the flour slowly (in 4-5 components) and ensure it is all been included earlier than including the following little bit of flour.
Type the dough right into a disk and switch it to a clear, frivolously floured floor and sprinkle the floor of the dough frivolously with extra flour.
Extra flour for rolling cookies
Use a frivolously floured rolling pin to roll dough to be about ¼” (6.5mm) thick. As you roll, sometimes use a spatula to scrape beneath the dough to loosen it from the counter to make sure it is not sticking to the floor. In case your dough is sticky in any respect, merely sprinkle it with extra flour.
Use cookie cutters to chop shapes out of the dough (hold your cookie cuts shut and re-group and re-roll out any dough scraps!) and switch to ready baking sheet, spacing cookies at the very least 1″ aside.
Switch to heart rack of 350F (175C) oven and bake for 8-10 minutes (that is the urged time for two.5-3″/7.5cm cookies; smaller cookies will want much less time and bigger cookies may have longer). When cookies are completed baking, edges will probably be starting to show very mild golden brown.
Permit cookies to chill on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes earlier than utilizing a cookie spatula to fastidiously switch to cooling rack to chill utterly.
Butter shouldn’t be so tender that it’s oily/melty and it’s truly ultimate if it nonetheless has a little bit of a chill to it. If you wish to be very exact, use an on the spot learn thermometer to examine for a temperature of 65F (18C).
I exploit unsalted butter, however should you use salted butter then cut back the salt within the recipe to only a pinch (about ⅛ teaspoon).
It is a powdery white substance (comparable in look to baking powder) that’s typically labeled as “corn flour” within the UK. Should you wouldn’t have cornstarch, you might omit it and improve the quantity of flour within the recipe by 3-4 Tablespoons.
What number of cookies you get out of this dough will range relying on the dimensions of your cookie cutters and exactly how thick you roll the dough. I used 2.5″ cookie cutters and rolled the dough to ¼″ thickness for the testing this recipe and re-rolled out my cookie scraps.
I like to recommend adorning the cookies with both my straightforward sugar cookie icing or my straightforward royal icing (for the cookies within the photograph you could possibly use both to realize the outcomes proven, however I used royal icing after which sprinkled on some sanding sugar whereas the icing was nonetheless moist for a few of the cookies). You might also merely sprinkle the cookies with coloured sanding sugar earlier than baking.
Retailer baked cookies in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as two weeks. Cookies might also be tightly wrapped and frozen for a number of months.
Serving: 1unfrosted cookie | Energy: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 1g | Fats: 6g | Saturated Fats: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 2g | Trans Fats: 0.2g | Ldl cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 45mg | Potassium: 17mg | Fiber: 0.3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 198IU | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary info relies on third-party calculations and ought to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will range based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.