My Oreo frosting takes simply 5 minutes to make! It’s good for piping on cupcakes or muffins and is rigorously designed to not be too candy. Solely 6 substances! Recipe features a how-to video!
Why You’ll Love This Oreo Frosting
- Easy and quick: You solely want 6 substances and 5 minutes to make it. It’s superb how fast and simple this frosting is!
- Pipes superbly: It’s sturdy and holds its form like a conventional buttercream, which I really like. It seems so fairly on cupcakes!
- Not too candy: I exploit a sneaky secret ingredient to maintain the frosting from being overly candy–extra on this under!
- Pairs with any taste cake or cupcake: I particularly adore it on my white cake, Oreo cake, or chocolate cupcakes although.
Oreo frosting is the newest addition to my ever-growing frosting library. It’s a cookies & cream buttercream creation that works equally effectively piped on cupcakes because it does in macarons (or chocolate macarons).
What You Want
Whereas I typically have the endurance for a extra advanced frosting (separating and tempering eggs — I’m you Swiss meringue buttercream) frostings which are straight up easy when it comes to substances and methodology will at all times have my coronary heart. At present’s recipe checks each these containers, nothing fancy right here, only a few fundamentals:
- Oreo cookies. You want fewer than you may suppose (which leaves loads of extras for snacking on later — or use them for some Oreo cupcakes to place the frosting on!). 6 Oreo cookies will create the ½ cup of Oreo crumbs we’ll want. I don’t take away the cream, because it’s an integral a part of the Oreo taste. See my tip under on the best way to pulverize the cookies so you could have a superbly easy, pipe-able frosting that gained’t clog your piping tip!
- Unsalted butter. Be certain that your butter is softened earlier than you start. For those who solely have salted butter available, be happy to make use of that and skip the extra salt.
- Powdered sugar. Whenever you use the total quantity of sugar I’ve listed within the recipe, your frosting can be good and durable. For those who cut back the sugar (and also you definitely can!), your frosting can be softer and fewer inclined to carry its form. When made as written its consistency is very like basic buttercream.
- Cream cheese. Simply 4 ounces of brick-style, full-fat (that is key!) cream cheese tempers the sweetness and provides a *true* cookies and cream taste to this frosting. Whereas it doesn’t make the frosting style like a straight-up cream cheese frosting, it tempers the sweetness and rounds out the flavour, all of my taste-testers most popular it to the opposite variations I’d examined with out cream cheese.
- Vanilla extract. I exploit a decreased quantity of vanilla extract on this recipe so the Oreo taste can shine.
SAM’S TIP: For those who plan to pipe this frosting by a piping tip, you actually need to ensure your cookies are finely pulverized. If not, you’ll have cookie crumbs clogging your piping tip, which may be extraordinarily irritating! I even prefer to sift my crumbs after I pulverize mine, simply to be secure. I exploit this multitool for this step, however you could possibly additionally use a meals processor. Crushing with a rolling pin doesn’t get the items fairly tremendous sufficient to pipe, so if you happen to’re utilizing a piping tip undoubtedly sift after crushing.
Bear in mind, that is simply an outline of the substances I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the put up!
Easy methods to Make Oreo Frosting
- Cream collectively the butter and cream cheese till easy and mixed, then steadily stir within the powdered sugar.
- Add the salt and vanilla and stir to mix.
- Stir within the Oreo cookie crumbs, then use as desired. Historically this can be by swirling on a dozen cupcakes or easily spreading over a cake, however you’ll obtain completely no judgement from me if you happen to simply take pleasure in it by the spoonful.
SAM’S TIP: I discover that it’s best to fill my piping bag (once I’m baking alone, anyway!) by inserting it in a big glass or cup and folding the highest of the bag over the sting of the cup. I reveal this in my video under, if you happen to’d like to observe this course of!
Often Requested Questions
Certain! Clearly the flavour of the frosting will change with the flavour of your cookies, however be happy to experiment! Mint, birthday cake, peanut butter, and even lemon Oreos could be tasty. Or you could possibly use home made Oreos as a substitute (disclosure: I’ve not but tried this however have been eager to, let me know if you happen to do! I’d suppose you could possibly use the shells with out the filling!)!
Utilizing the right sort of cream cheese (full-fat, brick-style) and correct quantity of sugar are crucial for the appropriate texture right here. Your Oreo frosting must be sturdy if you happen to comply with the recipe.
For those who did comply with the recipe and your frosting remains to be runny, the cream cheese might have simply gotten too heat. Pop the bowl within the fridge for a couple of minutes to relax it a bit.
Completely! Simply be sure that to make use of the total quantity of sugar listed within the recipe so your frosting is good and durable. I really like spreading this frosting over my vanilla cake and chocolate cake.
How do you intend to make use of this cookies & cream frosting in your baking? Possibly strive it over my new chocolate zucchini cake?
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! For those who do that recipe, make sure to tag me on Instagram, and you can even discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Servings: 12 servings
Forestall your display from going darkish
Mix butter and cream cheese in a big mixing bowl and use an electrical mixer to beat till easy and creamy. Steadily add powdered sugar, stirring till utterly mixed.
¾ cup (170 g) unsalted butter, 4 oz (113 g) cream cheese, 3 ½ cups (438 g) powdered sugar
Stir in vanilla extract and salt.
½ teaspoon vanilla extract, ⅛ teaspoon salt
Add Oreo cookie crumbs and stir in till utterly mixed. Use as desired.
6 (70 g) Oreo cookies
Recipe makes sufficient frosting to generously cowl 12 cupcakes or one 2-layer spherical 8” or 9” cake or one 13×9 cake.
Retailer frosting in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Let sit at room temperature till softened sufficient to stir, then stir effectively earlier than utilizing.
As soon as utilized to a cake or cupcake, frosting can sit out at room temperature for as much as a day however in any other case must be stored refrigerated.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 299kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 1g | Fats: 16g | Saturated Fats: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 4g | Trans Fats: 0.5g | Ldl cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 79mg | Potassium: 31mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 37g | Vitamin A: 482IU | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and must be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.