Hiya! It’s September, which implies that I’m totally prepared for my first viewing of You’ve Obtained Mail and have spent a while eyeing my sweaters, however I’m nonetheless sweating each afternoon and utilizing my air conditioner. In California, true fall climate might be at the very least a month out, however in my coronary heart, I’m prepared.
Over right here in my world, college is nicely beneath approach, and I’m having fun with my college students up to now. We’re nonetheless early within the yr, so there are nonetheless routines to work out, schedule adjustments, and different little hiccups. I don’t fairly have my instructor’s “sea legs” again, however we’re getting there. Personally, I’m a fan of the a part of the yr the place everybody understands the routines and issues run like clockwork, however that requires some exhausting work now to get the payoff later. Educating is rather a lot like life, proper?
For many of my life, I’ve actually dreaded fall and winter. I like the vacations nicely sufficient, however I miss the sunshine and freedom. This yr, I’m discovering myself feeling prepared for some chillier climate, to shift into soup mode, and grateful for the truth that no season (each literal or metaphorical) lasts endlessly. I’m attempting to embrace the truth that quickly it will likely be chilly and damp, that stone fruit and berries gained’t be at their finest, and that it will likely be too chilly for afternoons in my pool — however that implies that sweatpants and comfy garments come out, that root veggies and hearty soups will quickly be on my desk, and that I can snuggle beneath the covers earlier as a result of it’s darkish out. It feels good. Similar to the start of the educating yr, fall and winter really feel like occasions to place in work in order that all the pieces blossoms when it warms up. It helps to belief that earlier than we all know it, summer time can be right here as soon as once more.
Wherever you might be, I hope you’re feeling the shift into a brand new season, and that it’s good. Listed here are some hyperlinks to maintain you firm! Sending you’re keen on, good vibes, and if I may, a bouquet of freshly-sharpened pencils.
— xo, Amy
• Even whenever you’re not at school, dividing your life into semesters is nice motivation. (Vox)
• I actually beloved this tackle happiness from Helen Garner: as an alternative of in search of moments of happiness, discover “moments of extreme interestingness.” Additionally: how to get more happiness from your social life. (The Guardian, The Atlantic)
• In case you are a millennial or older, buckle up for this journey entitled, “Young People Have No Idea What We Used To Do After Work” about life before cell phones. It introduced again some reminiscences of a less complicated time and likewise made me really feel actually, actually previous. In that vein, as a 40-year-old, “I’m gracefully refusing the slide into cultural irrelevance.” (Slate, NYT Present Hyperlink)
• Some well being stuff (I’m principally superb!) has been investigating some vegan choices for my life, and you recognize our lady Pleasure has some killer recipes. I’m wanting ahead to attempting carrot and zucchini harvest muffins and creamy curried pumpkin soup. Additionally, even earlier than my vegan shifts, this easy vegan chocolate cake was what I made for each event as a result of it’s THAT GOOD. (Pleasure The Baker)
• Had been you ever obsessive about persona exams? I spent a lot time taking them once I was youthful, and even now, I nonetheless wish to know what sort of individual I’m (in case you’re curious: I’m a Taurus solar/Leo moon/Virgo rising, my Meyers-Briggs kind is INFJ, and my Enneagram quantity is 3 wing 4). This author used a different personality test that identifies the Huge 5 components of any persona, and gave herself three months to change her personality. Fascinating. (The Atlantic)
• I worth the enter of ladies a lot, particularly these older than me. I beloved this piece that includes recommendation from girls of all ages. (Shondaland)
• I’m a giant fan of remedy, and one of many issues my therapist and I’ve spent plenty of time engaged on is self-compassion. A good friend despatched me this piece about why self-compassion is healthier than self-confidence, and I beloved it. I additionally extremely suggest Kristin Neff’s book about self-compassion. (NYT Present Hyperlink, Bookshop).
• The perfect books I learn final month embrace the BRILLIANT Sarah Rose Etter’s e-book, Ripe, and Jane Wong’s Meet Me Tonight In Atlantic City. Have you ever learn both? If not, I extremely suggest them each! (Bookshop)
• Earlier than you choose me with this subsequent hyperlink, I wish to be clear that I saved for this and likewise purchased it as a really particular deal with for myself early this yr BUT I can not and won’t shut up about my Opal GE Nugget Ice Maker. It makes me glad every single day of my life. At the same time as iced drinks season involves an finish, it makes me wish to host a celebration with swanky non-alcoholic cocktails simply so I can get pleasure from it in a single. My level: in case you like a foolish little beverage, this can be a must-have. (Amazon)
• I’ve been round on the Web for the reason that days of The Secret and all method of manifestation practices, and whereas I believe a lot of them are a bit of bonkers, I did get pleasure from this article about the “delulu” trend on TikTok. (Bookshop, Bustle)
• Talking of TikTok, this post-anesthesia TikTok is definitely one of many funniest issues I’ve ever seen on the web. Watch all three components — it’s price it.
• I’ve enthusiastically chosen to not have youngsters, however I fortunately embrace my function as auntie extraordinaire, and my job as an educator means I get to spend so much of time with children. I actually beloved these tips about how to be a supportive adult in a kid’s life together with methods to make clear that function with their dad and mom. (NPR)
• I really like my buddies a lot, and I additionally know that typically, I have to step it up, particularly with of us I misplaced contact with when COVID had us indoors. I appreciated these tips about how to bring a dead friendship back to life. (TIME)