These Sourdough Crackers have an unbelievable taste, because of sourdough discard. They’re skinny, crisp, and easy to make with simply 7 substances!
Sourdough Discard Crackers
Gentle, crisp, and SO flavorful, sourdough crackers are a easy, but considerate snack. My recipe is made with sourdough discard, which implies you’ll get a few of the well being advantages from sourdough whereas on the identical time lowering your meals waste (I mainly preserve a zero-waste sourdough starter in my home, I exploit the discard in every part!). Win win!
My sourdough discard crackers have a deep, distinctive taste, and they’re a more healthy various to your customary cheese crackers. Whereas they’re completely tremendous to take pleasure in on their very own (and an awesome snack for teenagers), it’s also possible to pair them with cheeses and meats on a charcuterie board, serve them alongside your favourite dip (I vote for spinach artichoke dip!), or crumble them over a bowl of soup.
3 issues to like about my recipe:
- Easy: simply 7 substances!
- Flavorful: tangy and sophisticated taste, with out the necessity for sugar.
- Nutritious: Due to complete wheat flour and sourdough discard.
What You Want
I like how easy and unassuming the ingredient record seems. Every little thing you want is so fundamental, however the taste is absolutely unparalleled (I like these even higher than my cheddar-filled cheese crackers, in order that’s saying one thing!). Simply 7 easy substances:
- Sourdough discard. That is what you discard earlier than feeding your sourdough starter. Be sure you are utilizing discard from a starter that’s a minimum of every week previous; I don’t advocate utilizing it earlier than that point.
- Flour. I like to make use of a mix of complete wheat flour and common all-purpose flour. This provides the crackers a beautiful taste, shade, and a few well being advantages too!
- Oil. We’ll brush our sourdough crackers with olive oil earlier than baking. This helps crisp them up and encourages a lightweight golden brown end.
- Butter. Soften your butter, then let it settle down a bit earlier than including it. Be sure to make use of unsalted butter, since we’re including desk salt into the dough and kosher salt on prime of the crackers earlier than baking! I completely love the flavour that the butter provides to those crackers, I feel it’s what units them other than each store-bought model I’ve ever tried.
SAM’S TIP: Don’t wish to bake your sourdough crackers straight away? You possibly can let the dough chill within the fridge for two days with out challenge. Simply know that in the event you do that, the dough can be fairly agency and can probably want to sit down at room temperature for a minimum of 10-Quarter-hour earlier than it’s tender sufficient to roll out.
Notice that that is simply an summary of the substances I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the submit!
Make Sourdough Discard Crackers
- Stir collectively the discard, flours, butter, and desk salt till properly mixed. Dough ought to be clinging to itself and nearly Play-Do like in consistency. If the dough is just too sticky to deal with, add extra flour, a Tablespoon at a time, till it’s manageable.
- Divide the dough into two items and kind every right into a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap or parchment paper and chill within the fridge for a minimum of half-hour.
- Unwrap one disk and roll to ⅛″ thickness on a frivolously floured floor. Switch to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Prick the dough throughout with a fork, brush with olive oil, after which lower into 2″ squares. I exploit a pizza cutter for this step, it offers me good straight strains. And in the event you’d like smaller crackers, by all means, lower your squares smaller!
- Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt (or one other seasoning of your alternative, every part bagel seasoning is one other nice possibility!).
- Bake at 375 till mild golden brown, about 20 minutes. Repeat with the second disk of dough.
SAM’S TIP: Be sure to roll your dough to a constant thinness so your sourdough crackers bake uniformly.
Continuously Requested Questions
Sliced cheeses and meats, hummus, pepperoni pizza dip, and bacon jalapeño popper dip are only a few of my favourite pairings. You would additionally eat them as a fast (however filling!) snack with some tuna or hen salad–form of like a deconstructed sandwich!
In fact, crackers are additionally a traditional pairing with soups, particularly tomato soup, and these sourdough discard crackers aren’t any exception.
In case your sourdough discard crackers are tender whereas they’re nonetheless heat, this isn’t essentially an issue. Nevertheless, if they’ve cooled fully and are nonetheless tender, they may be a contact underbaked. Simply pop them again into the oven for a couple of minutes, and they need to crisp up!
There are lots of recipes that can expend your discard so that you don’t need to throw it away. I like to make use of mine to make sourdough pancakes, brownies, banana bread, and chocolate chip cookies (recipes coming quickly!).
Wish to add much more taste to your sourdough crackers? Swap the kosher salt topping with some every part bagel seasoning (recipe coming quickly)!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe beneath! Should you do this recipe, remember to tag me on Instagram, and it’s also possible to discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Sourdough Crackers (Made with Discard)
Servings: 55 2″ crackers
Stop your display screen from going darkish
In a big mixing bowl, mix sourdough discard, each flours, melted butter, and desk salt.
1 cup (220 g) sourdough discard, ¾ cup (95 g) all-purpose flour, ½ cup (60 g) complete wheat flour, 6 Tablespoons (85 g) unsalted butter, 1 scant teaspoon desk salt
Stir till properly mixed. If dough may be very sticky, add a bit extra flour till it’s manageable.
Divide dough into two items and kind every right into a disk. Wrap every half in plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of half-hour.
Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Put aside.
Take away one disk of dough from fridge and unwrap.
Place on a frivolously floured floor and use a rolling pin to roll dough to be below ⅛” thick (
Frivolously brush throughout with olive oil, then use a pizza wheel or pastry cutter to chop into 2” squares (no have to separate the crackers).
Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt. Switch to heart rack of 375F (190C) oven and bake till mild golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Olive oil, Kosher salt
Repeat steps 5-8 with second disk of dough.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 2 weeks.
Serving: 12″ cracker | Energy: 25kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 0.5g | Fats: 1g | Saturated Fats: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 0.3g | Trans Fats: 0.1g | Ldl cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 0.3mg | Potassium: 6mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 0.01g | Vitamin A: 38IU | Calcium: 1mg | Iron: 0.1mg
Dietary data relies on third-party calculations and ought to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.