Sourdough Pizza Crust – Sugar Spun Run8 min read
My Sourdough Pizza Crust recipe makes a skinny, crispy, and oh-so-flavorful crust that may make any pizza style like an artisan pizza. It’s nice for making ready prematurely, freezes effectively and makes sufficient for the entire household. Recipe features a how-to video!
The BEST Sourdough Pizza Crust
Seize your sourdough starter as a result of as we speak we’re making sourdough pizza crust! My recipe ferments in a single day (or longer) for probably the most dietary advantages and BEST taste.
Whereas as we speak’s recipe isn’t notably sophisticated, there are fairly just a few steps and it does require some endurance (it’s fairly totally different from my fast & simple home made pizza dough that method). Nevertheless, the time it takes is basically hands-off and more often than not spent making it’s simply ready (patiently or impatiently–you determine 😉).
One of the best a part of as we speak’s recipe is that it’s a choose-your-own-ending sort of recipe. Use your favourite toppings, I’m fairly traditional, often utilizing my home made pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and generally(ooh, I’m going to get some hate for this) pineapple, however be at liberty to go wild with the toppings, although, and even use the toppings from my dessert pizza! The sourdough enhances so many alternative taste combos (and I’d love to listen to what you provide you with within the feedback!).
Why you’ll like it:
- No yeast required!
- Unimaginable taste and crisp texture.
- Only a little bit of hands-on time.
- Freezes properly for grab-and-go dinners!
What You Want
As with my sourdough bread, you solely want just a few (6, to be actual!) fundamental elements to make as we speak’s recipe. Along with the elements mentioned beneath, you’ll additionally want any toppings you’d like. Pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and basil are widespread toppings, however we make all the things from margherita pizza to bbq hen pizza with ours!
- Sourdough starter. Your starter must be lively and bubbly–if it isn’t but, don’t use it! Don’t have a starter already? Take a look at my submit on easy methods to make a sourdough starter! It breaks down each step (with pictures) so you can also make your individual at house. It’s surprisingly very simple!
- Olive oil. This retains the pizza dough good and chewy. Despite the fact that we’re solely utilizing a small quantity, I like to recommend utilizing further virgin olive oil for one of the best taste.
- Honey. Pizza dough has a popularity for being bland, however between the sourdough taste and a little bit of honey for sweetness, this dough is tremendous flavorful.
- Heat water. Be certain your water is between 90-100F earlier than including it. In the event you don’t have a kitchen thermometer, I extremely advocate this one.
- Bread flour. Bread flour has a better protein content material than all-purpose, which makes it superb for pizza dough. The additional protein creates extra gluten and yields a chewier crust than its all-purpose counterpart. All-purpose flour may work in a pinch, however it’s going to yield fluffier outcomes.
- Salt. Salt is essential for taste, particularly on this recipe with so few elements.
SAM’S TIP: You possibly can enhance the hydration on this dough by bumping the water up one other ⅓ cup. In the event you do that, you’ll get a thicker dough that may be a bit simpler to kind a crust on; nevertheless, will probably be very crisp. Personally, I like utilizing quantities listed within the recipe as a result of it strikes the proper stability between crispness and chew (and all of my style testers agreed).
Keep in mind, that is simply an outline of the elements I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the submit!
Find out how to Make Sourdough Pizza Crust
Making the Dough
- Stir collectively the moist elements till mixed.
- Add the dry elements and stir till the dough clings collectively (the dough might be shaggy, don’t overdo it).
- Autolyse. Cowl the dough and let it sit for 30-60 minutes. This lets our flour hydrate and our starter begins breaking down the starches within the dough.
- Kind the dough right into a ball utilizing your fingers.
Stretch & Fold
Stretching and folding is usually utilized in sourdough recipes. It’s a substitute for kneading (which is widespread with traditional yeast recipes, like my home made bread, however could be tough with such a high-hydration dough as this one). It improves the construction of the crust and helps the gluten develop.
- Run your fingers beneath cool water earlier than stretching the highest of the dough up and over the underside. Rotate the bowl 90 levels and repeat this course of a complete of 4 instances.
- Cowl the dough and let it relaxation for half-hour, repeating the stretch and fold course of each half-hour till the dough will increase in measurement by about 50%.
- Divide the dough into two items and place in evenly oiled bowls (the dough will want a little bit of room to rise).
- Cowl with plastic and let relaxation within the fridge in a single day or as much as 3 days. Convey the dough out of the fridge to sit down at room temperature not less than half an hour earlier than utilizing (chilly dough is harder to form, it might sit at room temperature for as much as a number of hours earlier than you employ it).
SAM’S TIP: Give your oven not less than half-hour to preheat to 500F! My oven notoriously tells me it’s prepared when the temperature just isn’t truly at 500F, so give it time and if in case you have an oven thermometer, use it! You need your oven to be good and HOT for crispy outcomes.
Baking the Crust
- Place the dough onto a evenly oiled pizza pan and kind it right into a 10-12″ circle.
- Kind a crust together with your fingers, then brush the pizza with olive oil and pierce all around the backside with a fork.
- Bake in a 500F oven for 8-9 minutes, then take away and brush with extra olive oil.
- Add your toppings and bake for an extra 8-11 minutes (is dependent upon your oven; search for a golden crust and melty, bubbly cheese!).
SAM’S TIP: I prefer to make my sourdough pizza crust in bulk, usually 3 batches at a time (giving me 6 pizzas). I’ll then par-bake them and freeze them for later. This makes for handy last-minute or weekday meals!
Regularly Requested Questions
This recipe makes two 10-12” pizzas. The crust is skinny and the pizzas aren’t large, so I’d say every pizza may feed 4 individuals relying on their urge for food and the edges you serve with it (home made garlic knots are all the time a good suggestion!).
Sure! To do that, observe the recipe by the par-baking step, then cool, wrap in plastic, and freeze for a number of months. When able to take pleasure in, let the crust thaw at room temperature, brush with olive oil (not less than in an ideal world you must brush with olive oil once more — I all the time neglect!), add your toppings, and bake.
Sourdough pizza is less complicated to digest and has extra vitamins, nutritional vitamins, and good micro organism than common pizza crust. Remember, sourdough pizza continues to be NOT thought of well being meals when topped with a number of cheese or different indulgent toppings (identical to my sourdough pancakes).
How do you want this sourdough pizza crust vs my conventional home made pizza dough? Let me know within the feedback!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! In the event you do this recipe, be sure you tag me on Instagram, and it’s also possible to discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Sourdough Pizza Crust
Servings: 2 10” pizzas
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Mix sourdough starter, water, olive oil and honey in a medium-sized mixing bowl and stir till well-combined.
½ cup lively sourdough starter, 1 cup heat, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons honey
Add flour and salt and stir till you will have a shaggy dough that adheres collectively. Cowl with plastic wrap and permit it to sit down for 30-60 minutes (autolyse).
2 ¾ cups + 2 Tablespoons bread flour, 1 teaspoon salt
Stretch & Fold
Use your fingers to kind the dough right into a ball within the bowl.
Run your fingers beneath cool water and grasp the highest of the dough and stretch it over the underside. Flip the dough 90 levels and repeat this course of. Do that twice extra till you will have made your method all the way in which across the dough.
Enable dough to relaxation, lined, in a heat place for half-hour.
Repeat step 2 each half-hour till dough has elevated in measurement about 50%. I discover this usually takes about 3-4 hours for me.
Divide dough into two items and place every in a evenly oiled bowl. Cowl with plastic wrap and switch to the fridge to relaxation in a single day or as much as 3 days.
Meeting & Baking
Take away dough from fridge and depart it lined to relaxation at room temperature for not less than half-hour and as much as a number of hours. Preheat your oven to 500F (250C).
As soon as oven is preheated, evenly oil a pizza pan with olive oil.
End up the pizza dough onto the ready pan and use your fingers to softly form it right into a 10-12” (28cm) circle (will probably be pretty skinny). Fold over or pinch the sides to kind a crust.
Brush the pizza throughout with olive oil and use a fork to pierce the underside throughout.
Extra olive oil for brushing pizza
Switch pizza to 500F (250C) oven and bake for 8-9 minutes.
Take away pizza from oven and brush yet again with a light-weight layer of olive oil, then add your toppings.
Pizza toppings: pizza sauce
Return to the oven and bake one other 8-11 minutes, till crust is golden and cheese is melted and bubbly.
Pizza dough will preserve within the fridge for a number of days.
If I need to have pizza crusts able to go, I’ll observe the recipe by step 10 (par-baking the crust) then permit it to chill, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for as much as a number of months. When prepared to make use of, merely thaw (or partially thaw) within the plastic wrap at room temperature then proceed with the recipe from step 11 (brush with oil, add toppings and bake).
Serving: 110″ pizza | Energy: 761kcal | Carbohydrates: 142g | Protein: 22g | Fats: 10g | Saturated Fats: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2g | Monounsaturated Fats: 5g | Sodium: 1173mg | Potassium: 176mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3IU | Vitamin C: 0.04mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 2mg
Dietary info relies on third-party calculations and must be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will range primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.