Amping up the traditional egg salad recipe with contemporary herbs, crunchy celery and purple onion, and some hearty spoonfuls of additional protein. This egg salad is further wealthy and creamy and completely my new favourite!
Pals welcome to our second installment in our Summer time Sammie Sequence wherein I made an excellent Egg Salad Sandwich.
If I’ve my finger on the heart beat accurately, egg salad is fairly divisive. Isn’t it? I really feel like, there are egg salad folks after which there are actual and true HATERS OF EGG SALAD. Hear, everybody is correct, I simply occur to be an individual that loves this wealthy, creamy sandwich.
Like all scrumptious issues in my life, the very best model is at all times the model my dad makes. As a result of I’m me (with a chaotic Gemini solar and a cussed Aquarius moon), I can’t hardly ever depart nicely sufficient alone and I’m liable to tinkering, within the kitchen particularly.
Dad’s egg salad is thick and substantial. My model is a has a spoonful extra of Duke’s (the only) Mayo (that matters) and a bigtime protein bonus from secret ingredient: cottage cheese. Get into this with me, skeptics and all!
Listed here are the components you’ll must make this egg salad sandwich recipe:
• hard-boiled eggs, cooked, cooled, and peeled (I at all times have massive eggs within the fridge for baking in order that’s the dimensions I take advantage of on this recipe)
• cottage cheese (although greek yogurt can be a pleasant substitute)
• celery, finely chopped
• purple onion, additionally finely chopped
• dijon mustard
• contemporary dill (although different contemporary herbs like chives or contemporary parsley are additionally very nice!)
• nice sea salt and black pepper
• Bibb lettuce
• On this, my different greatest egg salad recipe I add a squeeze of contemporary lemon juice – we wish a success of brightness from someplace
First boil the eggs in a saucepan till cooked by. I spoon eggs into boiling water and allow them to bubble round for 11 minutes. As soon as boiled, drain the boiling water and run cool water over the eggs to deliver the temperature down.
Crack the eggs and run them beneath cool water to separate the membrane from the egg white. Peel the eggs and rinse off any shell bits.
Have you ever seen that trick of urgent hard-boiled eggs by the grates on a cooling rack right into a bowl? I attempted it and may affirm it’s an awesome trick. Completely price washing the cooling rack, particularly should you don’t have this very particular egg slicing contraption.
Add mayonnaise, I measure with my coronary heart. Add a heaping teaspoon of dijon mustard.
Add the key ingredient: cottage cheese for somewhat further protein and somewhat further tang.
Very finely chop celery and onion. They’ll add crunch and a chew of taste to the egg salad.
Contemporary dill is iconic however you both like it or hate it. I like contemporary dill in egg salad. It provides pickle vibes with out pickles.
Add a great pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and style. Modify seasoning till it’s good to you. The flavors needs to be balanced and vibrant.
I choose to relax the egg salad earlier than assembling the sandwiches. Spoon the egg salad combination onto smooth bread slices (unfold with mayo or mustard should you’d like!) and layer with tender lettuce slices.
Egg salad has a mush issue, that’s a reality.
Wrap tightly in wax paper and refrigerate should you’re not going to get pleasure from them immediately. If you’ll get pleasure from them immediately, I like to recommend paper plates and barbecue potato chips.
That’s the sandwich for right this moment, pals! Go away any questions or feedback under!
These days, that is my favourite egg salad sandwich recipe. Creamy and crunchy from celery and chopped purple onion. Amped up with Duke’s mayo and some large spoonfuls of cottage cheese!
- Peel and crumble the hard-boiled eggs in a mixing bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, cottage cheese, Dijon mustard, purple onion, celery, and chopped dill (if utilizing) to the bowl. Combine all the pieces collectively till nicely mixed. Season with salt and pepper to style.
- Lay out the bread slices and evenly unfold the egg salad combination onto 4 slices. If desired, you may layer lettuce leaves and tomato slices on the bread earlier than including the egg salad.
- Place the remaining 4 slices of bread on prime of the egg salad to finish the sandwiches.
- Trim the crusts from the sandwiches and lower them diagonally into halves for a extra interesting presentation, if desired.
- Serve the egg salad sandwiches instantly, or you may wrap them tightly in wax paper and refrigerate till able to serve.
Key phrases: duke’s mayo, egg salad, sandwich recipe, sandwich sequence, cottage cheese