I’m again from trip, The Bear is again for its second season and Love Island UK is again on Hulu. Holidays have been few and much between since 2020, so my husband and I went all out. We drove from Tennessee to New Mexico and spent a while in Santa Fe earlier than heading as much as Colorado after which driving again residence by Kansas and Missouri.
I used to be speaking to Pleasure in regards to the journey and she or he stated she loves the sky within the southwest. She’s proper. The sky actually blew me away. There’s simply a lot of it. The sky, the low humidity, the cool temps at evening – I’m beginning to perceive why so many individuals need to transfer on the market.
Thanks for being right here. I’m glad to be again.
• I wrote a profile on Aura Mayari. Mayari was on the most recent season of RuPaul’s Drag Race and she or he is one in every of Nashville’s beloved drag queens. We speak about Delight, Tennessee’s drag ban and what it was like being on Drag Race. Learn it here. (Nashville Scene)
• In case you’ve been round right here for awhile, you could keep in mind that I misplaced my thoughts over S1 of The Bear. Nicely, I simply completed S2 and I’ll by no means get well. Sophomore hunch? We don’t know her. Each episode on this new season is tense, tender and heart-breaking. The Christmas episode? THE CHRISTMAS EPISODE?! Sure. Chef. (Pleasure the Baker, Hulu)
• In case you observe me on Instagram, you might have seen very good pictures of me. These have been taken by Emily April Allen. Allen is a a lot sought-after photographer, in addition to an outspoken advocate for LGBTQ rights. For the Washington Post, Allen wrote about and photographed a bit on trans visibility.
• Good friend of the pod, Lindsay Lynch wrote a guide! Do Inform got here out on July 11 and I wrote about it here. Lynch is the guide purchaser for Parnassus Books and a pricey pal of mine. This can be a guide everybody goes to be speaking about. Get your copy here. (Woman Land Podcast, Nashville Scene, Bookshop.org)
• Am I obsessive about the whales? In fact. Am I weighing the professionals and cons of getting a whale tattoo? You wager your ass I’m. Seems, I’m not alone. Lyz Lenz wrote about all things whales, together with how many people assume we wish an orca completely inked onto our physique. (Substack)
• I like Lyz. Talking of ladies whose writing blows me away, my pal Oliva wrote an essay on moms, hormone substitute remedy and the lineage of womanhood. Read it and weep. (Nashville Scene)
• I don’t know what within the hell occurred within the New York Instances column “The Ethicist,” nevertheless it appears unhealthy. I used to be on trip and ignoring the information. Fortunately, Ragen Chastain was clocked in and she or he breaks all of it down in her Substack, Weight and Healthcare.
• A number of information broke whereas I used to be on trip, most notably the Supreme Court docket’s affirmative motion determination. Grateful as all the time for Roxane Homosexual and her phrases and perception on what this terrible precedent might imply. (Substack)
• Whereas driving residence from trip, we handed the Laura Ingalls Wilder residence and museum. I remembered that one in every of my favourite writers, Glynnis MacNicol spent all of final summer season researching Wilder and made a podcast about it. I’m midway by Wilder and I find it irresistible a lot. (Bookshop.org, iHeart Radio)
• I’m going to imagine all of us have a replica of Camp Pleasure. Solely Pleasure might write one thing that makes me gleeful to attempt one thing (tenting) that I’ve by no means thought I had the structure for (I hate to be scorching, I hate bugs, and I don’t know methods to use the lavatory outdoors), however this little zine has me purchasing the REI sale and questioning if I can, the truth is, make shakshuka within the woods. (Pleasure the Baker)
• An argument for going all in. (TikTok)