Thrilled to share this 30-minute recipe for wholesome bran muffins with you! Made with out refined sugar and positively full of dietary fiber, these healthful bran muffins are a tasty AND nutritious deal with. Dairy free, no mixer required, and the add-ins are as much as you!
What do you consider whenever you consider “bran muffins”? Wholesome however tasteless? Nutritious however dry? Properly, I got down to change the standard bran muffin’s status, so get able to rethink your preconceived notions. As a result of these wholesome bran muffins are flavorful, moist, and something however bland!
A couple of check batches later and we’ve ourselves a superbly scrumptious, healthful, not-overly-sweet bran muffin that adults AND youngsters take pleasure in. I had a 2-year-old, 5-year-old, 6-year-old, 9-year-old, teenager, plus grownup style testers right here… approval throughout. 😉
Right here’s Why You’ll Love These Wholesome Bran Muffins
- Healthful and nutritious
- Barely candy, cinnamon-spiced, nutty taste
- Full of insoluble dietary fiber
- Hearty however NOT dry, similar to these applesauce muffins
- Sweetened with honey—no refined sugar
- Dairy-free baking recipe if using a dairy-free milk
- No mixer required
- Healthy grab-and-go breakfast or anytime snack
- Freeze well
- Add-ins are up to you: raisins, nuts, blueberries… choose your favorite
Recipe Testing for Bran Muffin Success
I adapted this recipe from my morning glory muffins and blueberry oatmeal muffins, two of the most popular healthier muffin recipes on my site. The recipe went through 3 rounds of testing:
- The first test batch I made was too wet—not enough whole wheat flour, so they tasted a little greasy.
- For the second batch, I left out the applesauce and let the batter sit for about 15 minutes before baking, so the bran could soak up some of the liquid. This made the batter really thick, but then the muffins tasted too dry. Better to bake the batter right away.
- My third try was the “just right” Goldilocks-approved batch of bran muffins, which is the recipe I’m sharing with you today.
What Is Wheat Bran?
The bran is the protective outer layer, or shell, of the wheat kernel, which is stripped away during the milling process. But it’s actually super rich in insoluble fiber and other nutrients, and has a lightly sweet, nutty flavor. What’s not to like about this superfood?!
What Type of Wheat Bran Should I Use?
A lot of bran muffin recipes call for bran cereal, but we are just using straight-up wheat bran here, so there are no added ingredients from the cereal.
I usually find wheat bran in the cereal aisle near the oats, or you can buy it online. I like Bob’s Red Mill model (not working with them, simply genuinely like their merchandise). No must soak it or sift it or something earlier than utilizing, simply add it as a dry ingredient.
A pair questions & solutions:
- Can I Use Bran Cereal As an alternative? I like to recommend utilizing wheat bran for these muffins, however I do know some recipes name for grinding bran cereal (both flakes or strands, reminiscent of All-Bran or Fiber One) into crumbs to make use of rather than wheat bran. I haven’t examined it myself with this recipe. Needless to say most bran cereals embrace sugar.
- What if I Can’t Discover Wheat Bran? If you happen to’re unable to seek out wheat bran at your native retailer or buy it online, you’ll be able to strive these blueberry oatmeal muffins as a substitute. The recipe is analogous, and you’ll select any add-ins you favor as a substitute of blueberries (reminiscent of raisins).
- Can I Make These Gluten Free? You possibly can’t with out utterly altering the recipe. I like to recommend my blueberry almond muffins as a substitute.
All of the Components You Want:
- Entire Wheat Flour: I like utilizing entire wheat flour in baking once I can. It may well dry out baked items, so it’s necessary to concentrate to the ratio of moist substances to stability it out.
- Baking Soda + Baking Powder: These leaveners assist the muffins stand up tall. I normally use 1 teaspoon every in most muffin recipes, however that proved to be an excessive amount of baking soda (it left somewhat little bit of an aftertaste). So, use 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon soda right here.
- Salt: Taste enhancer.
- Cinnamon: A favourite ingredient in lots of muffin recipes!
- Egg: The egg helps to bind the substances collectively. If you happen to’d wish to make these muffins vegan, swap the egg on your favourite baking egg substitute.
- Honey: Likewise, you’ll be able to swap the honey for maple syrup to make these muffins vegan.
- Coconut Oil: That is considered one of my favourite substances in baking. To keep away from a coconut-y taste, search for one which’s labeled “unrefined.” If you happen to don’t have coconut oil, use vegetable oil, avocado oil, or melted butter as a substitute.
- Applesauce: Unsweetened, clean applesauce takes the place of extra oil. If you happen to don’t have applesauce, mashed banana is a good alternative.
- Vanilla Extract: Baked items’ favourite taste enhancer (shh, don’t inform the salt).
- Nondairy Milk: I examined this recipe with plain (unsweetened) almond milk, however you need to use oat milk or your most well-liked sort of nondairy milk. You can additionally use common dairy milk or buttermilk.
- Elective Add-ins: I used raisins within the pictured muffins, however you’ll be able to definitely go away the bran muffins plain or fill with contemporary, frozen, or dried blueberries; dried cranberries; chopped nuts; apples; and so on.
The best way to Make Your Bran Muffins
Making these bran muffins is so simple as combining the dry substances in 1 bowl, combining the moist substances in one other bowl, then whisking them collectively and folding in your raisins or different add-ins. Actually couldn’t be simpler—even easier than whipping up a batch of zucchini muffins.
*Success Tip: The batter will shortly begin to thicken up because the wheat bran absorbs the liquid—assume prompt oatmeal, or bran flake cereal absorbing milk the longer it’s left in your bowl. Scoop the batter into your lined muffin pan as quickly as all of your substances are mixed, and bake.
All the time admire fast, uncomplicated prep work for breakfast recipes.
Benefit from the baked muffins heat and be at liberty to swipe a pat of butter on every, or apple butter, or my favourite honey butter. So satisfying!
Flavorful, healthful, and tender, these bran muffins are a straightforward and fast wholesome baking staple. Ensure you’re utilizing pure wheat bran, not bran cereal. Use your favourite add-ins, or go away the muffins plain. See Notes for freezing directions and mini muffin directions.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Spray a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray or use muffin liners.
- Whisk the flour, wheat bran, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon collectively in a big bowl till mixed. Put aside.
- Whisk the egg, honey, melted coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla, and milk collectively in a medium bowl till mixed. Pour the moist substances into the dry substances, and whisk to mix. Swap to a rubber spatula or wood spoon and fold within the raisins (or different add-ins).
- Spoon the batter evenly into liners, filling all of them the way in which to the highest. Bake for five minutes at 425°F, then, conserving the muffins within the oven, scale back the oven temperature to 350°F (177°C). Bake for an extra 14–quarter-hour or till a toothpick inserted within the heart comes out clear. The full time these muffins take within the oven is about 20 minutes, give or take. Enable the muffins to chill for five minutes within the muffin pan, then switch to a wire rack to proceed cooling.
- Muffins keep contemporary coated at room temperature for just a few days, then switch to the fridge for as much as 1 week.
- Freezing Directions: For longer storage, freeze the muffins for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then warmth up within the microwave if desired.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): 12-Count Muffin Pan | Glass Mixing Bowls | Whisk | Muffin Liners
- Entire Wheat Flour: Be at liberty to switch with all-purpose flour, or use a mixture of each all-purpose and entire wheat.
- Wheat Bran: I normally discover wheat bran within the cereal aisle close to the oats, or you’ll be able to buy it online. I like Bob’s Crimson Mill model (not working with them, simply genuinely like their merchandise). No must soak it or sift it or something earlier than utilizing, simply add it as a dry ingredient. If you happen to’re unable to seek out wheat bran at your native retailer or buy it online, you’ll be able to strive these blueberry oatmeal muffins as a substitute. The recipe is analogous, and you’ll select any add-ins you favor as a substitute of blueberries (reminiscent of raisins).
- Can I Use Bran Cereal As an alternative? I like to recommend utilizing wheat bran for these muffins, however I do know some recipes name for grinding bran cereal (both flakes or strands, reminiscent of All-Bran or Fiber One) into crumbs to make use of rather than wheat bran. I haven’t examined it myself with this recipe. Bear in mind most bran cereals embrace sugar.
- Coconut Oil: If you happen to don’t have coconut oil, use the identical quantity of vegetable oil, avocado oil, or melted butter as a substitute.
- Applesauce: If you happen to don’t have applesauce, mashed banana is a good alternative.
- Milk: I exploit plain (unsweetened) almond milk, however you need to use any sort of milk—dairy or nondairy—that you simply choose, or buttermilk. Diet info calculated utilizing plain unsweetened almond milk.
- Raisins/Add-ins: You should use 2/3 cup of any add-ins you favor as a substitute of raisins, reminiscent of dried cranberries, chopped walnuts or pecans, contemporary or dried blueberries, or peeled and finely chopped apples, or go away the muffins plain. If utilizing apples, I normally use nearer to 1 cup. Diet info calculated utilizing raisins.
- Why the preliminary excessive oven temperature? Like I do for many muffin recipes, bake the muffins for five minutes at a highly regarded temperature. Then, conserving the muffins within the oven, swap to a decrease temperature for the remaining bake time. This preliminary excessive temperature will shortly elevate the muffin tops so that they’re additional excessive, then the facilities will bake through the lower-temperature bake time. This trick makes lovely bakery-style muffins each time.
- Mini Muffins: If making these in a mini muffin pan, bake 12–13 minutes whole at 350°F (177°C) the entire time.
- Diet Info Per 1 Muffin: Energy (191), Complete Fats (7.3g), Sodium (174mg), Carbohydrates (31g), Dietary Fiber (4.2g), Sugar (14g), Protein (3.7g)
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This electronic mail sequence is a good place to begin. I’ll stroll you thru just a few of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.